Is She Crazy Or Me

Business By beamom Updated 6 Nov 2010 , 5:23am by vtcake

beamom Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 1:35am
post #1 of 5

So, I had a bride who decided that she wanted me to do cupcakes instead of a cake for her wedding. She wanted me to decorate the area and I was happy to do this because I knew it would be fabulous. I designed the layout and explained that she would have to pay additional to the equipment. I explained that she is looking to spend at least $100 or more unless i can find someone who has the equipment. I told her a week and a half before her wedding the additional cost. Well, not only did the bride not pay the balance on time, which was due two weeks before her wedding, she paid two days before her wedding and said she couldn't pay the additional for the equipment and she wanted to get a wedding cake. I thought she had lost her mind icon_evil.gif . I had other orders and planned for her cupcakes not a wedding cake. Once I told her that she would be paying $400 additional for her wedding cake and it was too late to switch to get a wedding cake, she was fine with everything. The bride only had a piece of material, nothing else. I decided to use my items to decorate her table, which was great to me and everyone else who is aware that cupcakes are great for a wedding. I used tea light different vase filled with colored water and the six inch sat high on another vase. I used my tapedshut.gif savorski band for the 6" cake that was never given back and the mother of the bride pulled me up in front of all the wedding party guest to tell me she didn't like the set up and I should be ashamed of how I sat everything up. I explained to the mother of the bride that I wanted to do something bigger and even better than what she had but her daughter didn't have any money to cover the cost. The mother of the bride kept telling me that I'm in business and should have done better. I told her she should have provided her daughter the money and I left. The bride call and said she is sorry about her mom, but she didn't like the set-up as well. I asked what is it that she didn't like and she couldn't tell me. Than she said she really wanted a wedding cake, but I kept on and on with the wedding cake. I told her she was paying for what she wanted and I never twisted her arm to get anything and if she didn't want the cupcakes she should have gotten the cake. At the end, I asked what did she expected and again this stupid bride said she didn't know what she expected. I told her that maybe she should have thought about her answer before she called me because if she doesn't know what she want, than it's impossible for me to make her happy.

4 replies
step0nmi Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 1:42am
post #2 of 5

the one thing everyone is going to ask/say....did you have a contract? if you had one then the complaints wouldn't have happened. so sorry...they were asking a lot of you for the price.

JanH Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 1:49am
post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamom

Well, not only did the bride not pay the balance on time, which was due two weeks before her wedding, she paid two days before her wedding and said she couldn't pay the additional for the equipment and she wanted to get a wedding cake. .

To prevent being in this situtation in the future, you might want to change the payment schedule in your future contracts so that you have the money well in advance of the delivery date.

And then, if the bride doesn't have the balance of the money required - it's her problem and not yours! (Just be sure to have a non-refundable deposit clause to save the date.)

Certainly a lot less stress for you. icon_smile.gif

HTH

costumeczar Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 7:24pm
post #4 of 5

You might want to read my blog entry on wedding cake contracts...http://acaketorememberva.blogspot.com/2010/03/get-it-in-writing.html

This sounds like someone who didn't know what she wanted and didn't tell her mother what she ordered. On the other hand, if you decided to go ahead and decorate the table even though you hadn't been paid to do that, then you're taking on the risk of not getting your equipment back. It was a nice thought, but if you don't have a contract with the items that the bride needs to return to you listed out, they don't have any responsibility to return anything.

One of the sections in my book is about getting things in writing. It's to protect you as much as the customer. Most people are nice and would have returned the items and been nice to you for giving them something extra, but someitmes they're not so nice, so you need a contract to protect yourself too.

vtcake Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 5:23am
post #5 of 5

Paragraphs and/or double spacing are our friends.

Too hard to read ramblings on like that.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%