Does Everyone Use The Wilton Serving Chart??

Decorating By Normita Updated 4 Nov 2010 , 3:38am by Normita

Normita Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 1:18am
post #1 of 12

I use the wilton serving chart, but sometimes I think the cakes do not come out with those number of servings. My cakes are pretty tall though....at least 4.5 to 5 inches in height with 4 layers of cake and 3 of filling. Just curious as to what others use out there. I also looked at Earlenes, but I think that might be too much.

Should I just keep on using the "industry standard" serving chart?

11 replies
JanH Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 2:36am
post #2 of 12

Well, those are usually the top two charts mentioned... icon_smile.gif

Here's a link to indydebi's cake cutting method:
(So much easier than Wilton's method.)

http://cateritsimple.blogspot.com/search/label/cake%20comb

HTH

indydebi Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 2:38am
post #3 of 12

see the link in my signature on how to cut a wedding cake. I generally get 10% more than the wilton chart and I STILL have people asking me for "a smaller piece, please."

At my son's wedding, I made a 6/8/10/12 cake (serves 12/24/38/56 = 130). We cut about 110 pcs (based on the number of plates I used) and I STILL had the top 2 tiers left over! And yes.... people saying, "Oh that's too big ... can you cut one smaller for me?"

mareg Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 2:57am
post #4 of 12

I use Wiltons party guide for all cakes an always have a little leftover. My cakes are about 4.5 inches tall .

caymancake Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 3:02am
post #5 of 12

I use party servings for all of my orders, and explain to them the size of each portion. I always have enough cake left icon_smile.gif. I recently found Indydebi's method of cutting cake - it makes it sooo much easier to explain to people how to cut their round cakes and I have found that it ends up yielding extra servings too!

Normita Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 3:10am
post #6 of 12

Debi....do you use "wedding" slices for all your cakes??

Caymancake and mareg....do you use the party cake instead of the wedding?

indydebi Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 3:13am
post #7 of 12
mareg Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 3:42am
post #8 of 12

This ma be a dumb question, but I'll ask anyway. For debi's cutting guide Is the first row smaller pieces on the ends? With the round cakes. Obviously with square it would not matter. Do you compensate at all for it ?

indydebi Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 4:12am
post #9 of 12

The corner piece (on a round cake), I tend to cut it in two small triangles.

mareg Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 5:37am
post #10 of 12

Thanks Debiicon_smile.gif

Apti Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 6:16am
post #11 of 12

Normita, here's a link to a post that I think is fabulous for newbies like me:
Cake Serving Size Examples made of Paper or Cardstock
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-689515-.html

A teacher recently used IndyDebi's method to cut an 8" round, 4" tall cake in class to show us the serving sizes and she got 20 pieces out of it and had a third of a cake left.

Normita Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 3:38am
post #12 of 12

Thanks Debi for the pixs and thanks Apti for the helpful link. I thought that they might be too small....but I got to thinking...my cakes are at least 4.5 to 4 inches tall....so they are getting plenty of cake with that cutting method!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%