Motocross Dirtbike Cake Ideas??

Decorating By katibeth88 Updated 15 Nov 2010 , 5:53am by candicemarie

katibeth88 Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 1:16am
post #1 of 6

so....i'm debating on whether or not to do a cake. i would be working on it during my school break...my only school break..and the theme is frankly just not my cup of tea.
i'm a girly girl, so if it was a super cutesy cake that i could have fun with, i wouldn't mind so much. BUT its a boy cake... motocross/dirtbike... which i know NOTHING about. i am by no means a cake professional so i'm afraid handsculpted bikes are way out of my league. the most i've done with gumpaste are some baby booties..

but i am also not into buying plastic toys and sticking them on top of a cake... so.... any ideas??

5 replies
Amylou Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 4:13am
post #2 of 6

I did one...and just realized I never put it in my photos and can't find the file. I baked a sugar cookie in a motorcycle shape, decorated it, "glued" sticks on the back with melted chocolate and stuck it in the top of the cake like it was doing a wheelie. The sides of the cake had buttercream flames around it (requested by my friend). Then I took one of my kid's toy motorcycles, rolled the wheel in black gel coloring and rolled it along the cake board and up the cake to the back of the rear cookie wheel.

I will try and find the pic for a visual.

ETA: I found it! Just added to my photos.

katibeth88 Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 2:43am
post #3 of 6

sounds cute!! i'm on my way to look! thanks!!

glow0369 Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 3:04am
post #4 of 6

Someone did a dirt bike helmet that wayy cool... I don't remember who it was though..

gingerbreadtogo Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 3:46am
post #5 of 6

I've done a few different motocross cakes, I only have 1 posted in my pix and it's a fondant one. I've done easier one's by making the cake like a motocross track, having hills, dirt ( crumbled oreos) with a plastic motorcylce. I did a royal icing transfer, which is pretty easy, just find picture of bike-put it under wax paper and color/fill with royal icing and let it dry. I'm trying to figure out another one for next week. I like the moto cookie idea.

Good Luck

candicemarie Posted 15 Nov 2010 , 5:53am
post #6 of 6

we did the moto cross track used choc buttercrean mad table tops and a wooped de woop section(lots of little bumps. Put fudge to make a uddy section, and brown suger for dirt on the actual track. Used half pieces of one side or an oreo cookie o outlinethe track like tires. added some grass on the outside of the track for color. then since it was for a young kid had ty motorcyles wit guys do superman stunts.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%