The New Shop I Rented Is 2 Blocks From The Hospital.........

Business By littlecake Updated 15 Nov 2010 , 7:39pm by icesk8ermom

littlecake Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 11:32pm
post #1 of 21

i'm thinking of offering cupcake and goodie baskets for delivery.....we don't deliver anything now, but i'm thinking if we combined all the deliveries to one trip could be a good way to add some $$$$$$ to the bottom line.

anyone do anything like this?

20 replies
-K8memphis Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 12:24am
post #2 of 21

I like this idea--market to hungry interns and folks who need to cheer someone up--brilliant.

Are there any doughnut shops nearby?

costumeczar Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 12:33am
post #3 of 21

That's an excellent idea. I was going to say you should advertise at the hospital gift shop, but they might not want the competition. Does the shop there sell food? Sometimes they do and sometimes they don't. If they don't, they might be willing to work something out with you.

-K8memphis Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 12:34am
post #4 of 21

My husband got a goodie basket that had a really cute really large band-aid cookie when he got smashed in a bicycle wreck. It tasted like they ripped it off a gangrenous wound somewhere. No not really it din have even that much flavor! hahahaha

But even though the taste was suspect it was an adorable cookie! That we appreciated very very much--I was just using some poetic/pathetic license.

Another good idea, cigarette cookies or on a cupcake or something.

My friend who has copd or emphysema or both was recently in the hospital for something else and he was dying for a smoke. He's a DuploBlock but I wished I had made him some cigarette cookies.

Y'know how you thin sugar cookie dough with milk or water and pipe on the cookie before it's baked? then after it's baked you can stack 'em up to the ceiling and they're fine.

Just random thoughts--don't mind me.

jason_kraft Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 12:35am
post #5 of 21

Does the hospital have an in-house catering service that provides baked goods? If not, you may also want to approach them about selling wholesale to the hospital cafeteria.

Another option would be a revenue-sharing agreement with the hospital where some of your products could be offered as value-added services to admitted patients -- for example, the hospital could offer a freshly-baked muffin with breakfast to patients for $X extra.

-K8memphis Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 12:36am
post #6 of 21

Gift shop--good idea.

Also flyers to the different floors and waiting rooms maybe?
Find a bulletin board.
Drop off some leftovers to the ER?

jenmat Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 12:45am
post #7 of 21

My hubby works at a hospital and that's where 75% of my celebration cakes come from, as well as a lot of nurses getting married have me do their cakes.
I brought tasting cakes to the different depts, concentrating on areas that had time to talk and eat cake- outpatient surgery, GI labs, etc.
Just beware the hospital delivery policies. We have had to work out a special arrangement where we actually deliver to breakrooms and we cannot in any way impede patient care (ie, page staff to p/u cakes).
It's worked wonderfully so far- you have a captive audience of mostly females who all talk to each other!
It is a good idea to check with the cafeteria too, they may love to outsource their cakes for events. Hospitals have lots of luncheons and meetings that need desserts!

CocoaBlondie Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 12:49am
post #8 of 21

wow, It sounds like you found a good location! I know hospital workers are always dying to get out of the hospital & grab coffee & a treat somewhere close by. Hope you have alot of success there icon_smile.gif

cdgleason Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 1:19am
post #9 of 21

WOW!!!! I'm excited for you, the potential sounds unlimited!! I'm sure you'll get some great ideas here on CC. Is your shop open for business, yet??
I'm sure it won't take long before nurses, interns, doctors and administrative people are in your shop ALL DAY LONG!!
I would offer up some free samples...try to get your baked goods into the hospital in as many different departments as you can...take some cookies, muffins, scones, individual slices of things like pumpkin bread, (and anything else you might see in the display case at Starbucks) ... something that's quick and easy.... and something that goes nicely with coffee!! Every medical facility I've ever been in seems to run on caffeine!
Make sure your baked goods are individually wrapped, then invest a little bit of money in those stickers that have you business logo (address, phone number and location of your shop) on EVERY single item that you 'donate'! There may even be a 'tax benefit' for your donations!
It shouldn't take long before word spreads throughout the hospital about who you are, what you offer, and how incredible your baked goods are!! Before you know it, you'll be overwhelmed with more business than you can handle!! ~~ You'll have to hire extra staff members to handle all of the orders that you're going to have!!
At the end of the day, if you have baked goods from your shop that you want to 'get rid of '... maybe you can take them to the ER waiting room?? There's always a coffee pot in the ER, place a basket of your baked goodies next to the coffee pot...once again, make sure your business info is on every item...

oops...getting carried away a, I'm just dreaming, on your behalf!!
I hope it all works out well for you and that your shop is a huge success very soon!!

littlecake Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 1:49am
post #10 of 21

loving these ideas!....i guess i should be grateful that my old landlord decided to raise my rent!...found a place roughly 200 bucks a month cheaper....and 300 sq ft bigger!

i'm in business here in my 9th year a lot of people know us already.

God has been so good to us, a couple years ago my son almost died in a car accident, he was then living in tennessee....he was in the hospital a long time

fast forward, after he got out he left tennessee, moved 1 block from me, and now works in the bakery....he LOVES IT!

life is good...

after reading all your ideas i'm really super excited to get started....we should be done with rehab...and be open sweet is that?

i'll post progress pics tomorrow!

ya sure you don't want to come from tennessee too k8? can do my petit four order i took for friday...ha ha

cdgleason Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 2:09am
post #11 of 21

I just added "little cake" on facebook! I'm looking forward to hearing about your new ventures!!

-K8memphis Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 2:11am
post #12 of 21
Originally Posted by littlecake

ya sure you don't want to come from tennessee too k8? can do my petit four order i took for friday...ha ha

Wouldn't that be a riot!! That job offer is on my short list!!!

I'm so happy for you--
Nobody knows the truffles you've seen--
lifting a quote from my sweet chocoloholic friend G.

leily Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 2:17am
post #13 of 21

I think that's a great idea. I would definitely get your name out there for people to have you deliver to the patients.
Don't forget the delivery and post pardum area for all those cute babies! To get in someones mind ahead of time see if you can post information at baby shops (family is always shopping before hand) along with in the waiting room area. Most people are in the hospital 2-3 days and that's always a joyous occasion to get sweets for!

Are you on a main street that people pass on the way to the hospital? Maybe some signage in your windows would help increase the gift baskets?

SugarFrosted Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 2:34am
post #14 of 21

The hospital where I had my baby gave us a bunch of "congrats" coupons from local businesses. Examples: Thermometer from the drugstore, photo processing from the photo shop, etc. Maybe your hospital has a package like that to which you could add a coupon. You could give offer a free cookie or cupcake to the new baby's siblings, or a free "smash" cake with the order for a first birthday cake, or a discount on a cake.

When I was an ER nurse (for 10 years), we LOVED it when people would bring us treats. We had a lot of regular patients who had dialysis in our holding area, or a lot of other repetitive procedure. Those folks almost always brought us stuff. Your bakery would have instant customers in the ER staff.

I love the get-well basket with the "band-aid" cookies...great idea! The gift shop at one hospital here has a goodie basket in a Coca-Cola 6 bottle carton, filled with candy and snacks and magazines and a couple of small Cokes, and a balloon. You could do something like that if the gift shop there doesn't. They are expensive $30-40 for just a few items. The bigger the basket, the more items, the more money.

jlynnw Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 2:41am
post #15 of 21

Don't forget all the employees, nurses, and doctors, and everything. It would be great to have doctors day, nurses week, administrators day, bosses day, etc specials. Patients come and go, but the regular staff can be your daily bread and butter. They also work good as "free" advertising by telling the patients and family where to go for a quick treat nearby.

doramoreno62 Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 2:43am
post #16 of 21

My daughter had her baby at a hospital that had a donut shop across the street. They had a sign in the window advertising a free "welcome baby" donut with a purchase of a dozen. Blue ones saying "its a boy" and pink for "its a girl. Maybe you could do something like that with cuppies or cookies? You could also do "get well soon" and other illness related goodies!

jewelsq Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 12:40pm
post #17 of 21

One of our local hospitals has a springtime "Baby Fair", an expo for businesses the either cater to parents or their babies. This would be an ideal place to "plant a seed" (sorry) for "incoming deliveries". Make a few gift baskets/trays for display.

I would also definitely try to get in on placing a coupon in the welcome bag. This particular hospital does not allow it, but I tried.

Don't forget about doing small sample cakes or trays to the doctors' offices in the hospital.

Does the hospital do any fundraising events like a 5K? Can you make a donation and send out media releases and get some radio air time?

This can be such a blessing to your business. Work it, baby!

jess2426 Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 1:46pm
post #18 of 21

I was thinking about looking into opening a shop by the hospital near my house. There is just a little cafe over there, but not a specialty bakery or anything like what i would offer. i am glad that i read this post i now have a lot of good ideas. wasnt my post, but thanks to everyone who wrote stuff in it!!

vtcake Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 5:29am
post #19 of 21

I'd be very careful about this...some patients have strict instructions on what they can or can not eat. I know it wouldn't be your fault or problem, but if the wrong food got into the wrong belly...

Love2BakeCakes Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 6:10am
post #20 of 21

Congrats to you, and I say go for it. The decorators made a lot of good suggestions.

icesk8ermom Posted 15 Nov 2010 , 7:39pm
post #21 of 21
Originally Posted by vtcake

I'd be very careful about this...some patients have strict instructions on what they can or can not eat. I know it wouldn't be your fault or problem, but if the wrong food got into the wrong belly...

I was going to say the same thing...Patients are put on particular diets per doctors orders and sometimes even put on NPO (which means nothing by mouth) so they can have certain procedures. If they eat something that they can have do to health reasons or have something to eat when they should not could cause great harm to them. I would greatly caution anyone from delivering to a patients room.

Having worked in a hospital.Food service Admin. Assistant I would highly suggest that you contact the Food Service Director/Mgr (whatever your local hospital calls them) and requesting to schedule an appointment where you could bring in samples and talk to them about supplying them with special occasion cake, cookies etc. Not all hospitals do their own baking. Often times they even order their muffins, scones, bagels etc to be delivered on a daily basis and sold in their cafeteria. Defiantly worth looking into!

Best of luck to you

Quote by @%username% on %date%