A Quick But Urgent Question About Airbrushing

Decorating By Evoir Updated 3 Nov 2010 , 1:37am by Evoir

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 10:53pm
post #1 of 10

Hi all

I need to make a 3 tier wedding cake pale pink. I don't feel like mixing that much fondant to the right shade of pink.

Can I airbrush it? I have the Americolor Deep Pink, but the effect I want is a pale pink...can you thin down airbrush colours to have a thorough coverage without the full depth of colour? Can you add Wilton white? What is the best way to airbrush pale pink? I am not game to try a 'light coat' with a deep pink as the effect will be patchy.

Please help!

TIA everyone icon_smile.gif

9 replies
sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 11:01pm
post #2 of 10

even if you thin the colour down or whiten it you'll need to be confident in your spraying to avoid the strikes. I would opt for colouring the fondant, especiall since you want just a hint of pink.

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 11:27pm
post #3 of 10

i airbrush a lot of things...but i'd never do a wedding cake.

BluntlySpeakingKarma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BluntlySpeakingKarma Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 11:44pm
post #4 of 10

Time to get your feet wet! Load that brush up with pink and white, put it in drop by drop and COUNT your drops. Spray onto a white backdrop and fine tune your amounts from there. Easy as pie.

BluntlySpeakingKarma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BluntlySpeakingKarma Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 11:45pm
post #5 of 10

However, after rereading what you wrote, no I would not put Wilton anything in an airbrush and trust it. Only if you had white airbrush spray on hand.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 12:36am
post #6 of 10

I'd do it with vodka and liquid airbrush colors, but the risk that you run is that if the airbrush "spits" at any point, you'll have dots of darker color on it. Also, if you touch the surface of the cake after you run the risk of it rubbing off, and you can't fix that once you get a blotch on it.

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 12:51am
post #7 of 10

Exactly. It wouldn't be worth the risk to me.

It really doesn't take more than 10 min to color the fondant anyway - you'll be glad you did it afterward.

EvMarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EvMarie Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 1:02am
post #8 of 10

Thought? I have a pink sheen airbrush color from americolor.

It may be a bit more subtle than regular pink. However, you will get a sparkle along with the hint of pink.

I'll load up my airbrush and see if I can get a light dusting....

EvMarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EvMarie Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 1:18am
post #9 of 10

Okay - never thought of myself as computer illiterate...but, I guess I am. I could never figure out how to post a pic inside a thread like this.

So - I whipped out my airbrush and dusted, quite heavily a piece of fondant with pink sheen. Maybe that would be an option? Just a thought...

And, keep in mind, I'm not an airbrusher expert. So...check my gallery. I'll load it up there after I post this comment...

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 1:37am
post #10 of 10

Wow...thanks everyone. I do have the pink sheen too...hmmm

And I agree with getting my feet wet...but I am a scaredy cat with wedding cake risks, so I will test out the technique on my daughters birthday cake for Sunday and mix the pink into the wedding cake fondant by hand this time around. The main reason I thought airbrushing would be the go is that I dislike having to make extra pink fondant for covering the tiers. There seems to be less wastage with airbrushing icon_smile.gif

I'll definitely do more experiments with whole cakes...thanks for all the input peeps!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%