Vinyl And Fondant.

Decorating By diamondsmom Updated 21 Jan 2011 , 12:03am by solascakes

diamondsmom Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 7:52pm
post #1 of 10

Is vinyl the same thing as clear plastic? might be a stupid question but i really dont know. Went asking for clear vinyl and I was told that vinyl doesn't come in clear.

9 replies
tiptop57 Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 8:11pm
post #2 of 10

Are you looking for the Ateco Blue Vinyl Mat? If so Amazon carries it.

metria Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 8:22pm
post #3 of 10

whoever told you that is silly. there are rolls and rolls of clear vinyl in different gauges at fabric stores. Walmart sells them nice and cheap.

diamondsmom Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 8:31pm
post #4 of 10

thanks Guys! Metria I went to 2 fabric stores in my neighbourhood and I was told that vinyl doesn't come in clear. I will go to walmart and get it. What guage would be best to roll out fondant? I read here that it is great for rolling fondant.

metria Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 9:23pm
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondsmom

thanks Guys! Metria I went to 2 fabric stores in my neighbourhood and I was told that vinyl doesn't come in clear. I will go to walmart and get it. What guage would be best to roll out fondant? I read here that it is great for rolling fondant.

!!! that's crazy. They're probably talking about flannel-backed vinyl (like picnic table cloth) or some other less useful vinyl to cakers icon_cry.gif I'm sorry they couldn't help you. Hopefully you can find something at Walmart. If not, many cakers use the Wilton Cake Dividing Wheel, as seen in this kit:

http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=3E30D66E-475A-BAC0-57C5D7D262D8EE2D&killnav=1

BlakesCakes Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 1:13am
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondsmom

Please consider that clear vinyl from WalMart or the fabric store isn't food safe. There is now a food safe alternative available from sweetwise.com

http://www.sweetwise.com/supplies-and-tools.html

It is a specially developed, food safe vinyl. It's more expensive than the non-food safe material available in stores, but that's the case with many items that need to be specially formulated in order to BE food safe.

I have ordered over the phone from Sweetwise and found them to be very easy to work with and very helpful.

Oh, and the Ateco blue mat is NOT vinyl, it's silicone, more expensive, and I find it to be a real dust magnet.

HTH
Rae

solascakes Posted 20 Jan 2011 , 4:11pm
post #7 of 10

wow i need that may badly,but as i live in the UK,i don't think its possible,I tried ordering and, tha mat was $15.99 but shipping was $32 making $48. Yikes.

neelycharmed Posted 20 Jan 2011 , 4:24pm
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by solascakes

wow i need that may badly,but as i live in the UK,i don't think its possible,I tried ordering and, tha mat was $15.99 but shipping was $32 making $48. Yikes.

I just got my mat last week and its so worth the money!!!
I 100% recommend it...
It took 2 times to get the feel right, and that was it..
Jodi icon_smile.gif

luddroth Posted 20 Jan 2011 , 4:35pm
post #9 of 10

Search the forums here about the toxicity of vinyl -- a lot of comment, including one from a chemist who says that even brief contact of the fondant with vinyl is a health risk. Apparently the vinyl (like the stuff from Walmart) is coated with a chemical that comes up easily and is a known carcinogen. Just what I read here on a long forum exchange a few months ago -- topic comes up repeatedly.

solascakes Posted 21 Jan 2011 , 12:03am
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by neelycharmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by solascakes

I just got my mat last week and its so worth the money!!!
I 100% recommend it...
It took 2 times to get the feel right, and that was it..
Jodi icon_smile.gif

Well if you say so, I will,cos I have heard a lot about it,I actually roll my fondant on cling film but I figured this would be a more permanent solution for me. Thanks a lot.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%