Damask Patterns

Decorating By Mychelle7 Updated 17 Jan 2011 , 7:33pm by simplysouthern

Mychelle7 Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 6:41pm
post #1 of 9

How do you create a damask pattern on the side of a cake? Is it a stencil??

8 replies
ibmoser Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 7:36pm
post #2 of 9

Most seem to be either stencils or thin sugarpaste of some sort cut with a digital cutter (Cricut, Silhouette, etc).

Jenn2179 Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 2:26am
post #3 of 9

I have done it 3 ways. Using a stencil and royal icing, used a cricut, and used individual cutters to create a damask pattern.

Loucinda Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 2:37am
post #4 of 9

My preferred method was the individual cutters. I tried all 3 and that (for me) was the cleanest and neatest looking. I got the cutters from JenniferMI (sugardelites.com)

obsessed Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 2:55am
post #5 of 9

I've used a stencil and royal icing. Was reasonably quick and easy...but was a small cake.

debster Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 3:14am
post #6 of 9

I used a stencil for the first time in the cake in my photos and it really wasn't bad for a first timer.

Loucinda Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 12:33pm
post #7 of 9

If it is for a square cake, the stencils are much easier to use. They are more difficult on the round cakes. Color makes a big difference too, if you are putting black on white, there is little room for error. I chose the cutters for that reason, it was a wedding cake, and I needed it to be perfect. (and I wasn't feeling so "perfect" with the stencils yet!) Debster - your looks really nice!

Here is the one I did with the cutters: http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1857690&done=1

Mychelle7 Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 7:19pm
post #8 of 9

Thanks a million! Very helpful!

simplysouthern Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 7:33pm
post #9 of 9

debster and loucinda................GORGEOUS! I have yet to attempt a damask cake but so want to.....maybe thats a good thing to work on while I'm on bedrest! Using cutters and placement!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%