How I Figure Out...

Decorating By RoyalD Updated 3 Nov 2010 , 2:21pm by DianeLM

RoyalD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RoyalD Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 5:38pm
post #1 of 8

the # of serving for a numbered shaped cake. Its supposed to be an 70 shaped cake for 40 people. Any ideas?

TIA

7 replies
tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 8:24pm
post #2 of 8

I go with party cut 2-1/2" X 2-1/2" then I draw out the pattern with paper to the size I need and then figure how much cake to bake (such as 1/4, 1/2 full sheet cake) and then shape my work when baked.

HTH

cakes22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes22 Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 8:25pm
post #3 of 8

^^^^
I was gonna say that icon_wink.gif

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 8:52pm
post #4 of 8

Hi tiptop. Nice to see you!

I'm not sure I understand your method. How do you determine the size of your pattern? And is there a point where the carved away portion of cake is subtracted from the number of servings?

tiptop57 Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 12:46pm
post #5 of 8

Hi DianeLM

I draw out the carved cake by figuring in the size of slices. She had a 7 and a 0 so I would figure 20 slices cut to her specs (2-1/2x2-1/2 or 3x3 etc) per each number. After figuring out how big (using graph paper) I will lay the pattern over my pans to determine which pan best fits my design. (Same with my sculpted cakes) Depending if I am using layers or not as that also chances the dimensions. Then I carve away after baking the cake, usually with very little waste. HTH

DianeLM Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 1:16pm
post #6 of 8

I see. Thanks for clarifying.

I think I go about it backward. Or sideways. icon_smile.gif

I look at the number of servings my pans yield, then make a template to fit the pan, or combination of pans, that yield slightly more than the servings I need, allowing for waste.

Generally, I don't have much waste either. I'll cut up my template into pieces and arrange them like a puzzle on the cake. Cut out. Rearrange cut up cake into the desired shape.

tiptop57 Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 1:33pm
post #7 of 8

Just like sewing. Smart! icon_biggrin.gif

DianeLM Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 2:21pm
post #8 of 8

Really? I know nothing about sewing. If a button falls off, the garment goes in the trash. LOL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%