First Paid Cake Order

Decorating By amywood20 Updated 3 Nov 2010 , 5:53pm by amywood20

amywood20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amywood20 Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 5:31pm
post #1 of 8

Hello - I need some advice, as I am in the process of securing my first paid cake order. The woman is requesting a nurse-themed cake that can feed 12 people (for her son's birthday). I am thinking about a 10 inch or 12 inch for this, using buttercream icing with some fondant decor. I have no idea what to charge. Any thoughts? Also, which size would be best? The pieces served need to be decent size and she noted it's okay to have leftovers. And, when I make cakes for work I put them on those thin cardboard things the same size as the cake and then place that on top of a cake drum that is larger than the cake, which is how I was taught in decorating class. The drums can be pricey, as I think I've paid $6-$7 for some of the smaller ones. I would need to pass along this expense to the customer. Is there a better way to do this? Thanks!

7 replies
PrivateNameHere Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PrivateNameHere Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 5:54pm
post #2 of 8

For feeding 12 people, I'd go with 8". 10" cake is really big! But I'd certainly not do a 12". There are serving charts on Wilton's website.
I make my own cake boards out of foam board that I buy at the dollar store, double up, cut to size and wrap in the Wilton foil. It works out to about $2 a cake.
You gotta work out your own pricing. If you work at a grocery store bakery or some other place like that, take their price and maybe double it? You are making a custom cake here.

what_a_cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
what_a_cake Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 6:15pm
post #3 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrivateNameHere

For feeding 12 people, I'd go with 8". 10" cake is really big! But I'd certainly not do a 12". There are serving charts on Wilton's website.

I would say an 8" would be enough but look too small. A 10" gives plenty for restaurant size portions for 12 people and some leftovers.

Personally think Wilton's charts are meant to size wedding cakes only, as the 1" x 2" slice is too small most of the times... or maybe is because I live in Texas and everything is bigger here LOL?

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 6:15pm
post #4 of 8

Even an 8" cake serves 24. Which is fine as long as the customer understands they're buying 24 pieces. I couldn't cake less if they serve it to one person with a fork. Still costs for 24 servings.

Maria925 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maria925 Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 6:39pm
post #5 of 8

I recently made an 8" cake for a friend and told her it would give her 15 servings (which I took from Earlene's chart). She told me that they cut 18 "very generous" portions out of that cake. I think an 8" would be enough for 12 people with leftovers! I haven't been decorating cakes for long and am always worried about "enough" cake. I'm beginning to realize that with a 4" tall cake, the Wilton charts are fairly reasonable. JMO icon_smile.gif

brensmom12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brensmom12 Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 6:44pm
post #6 of 8

I agree with 8". It may look small but there will be plenty for 12 people. 10 or 12" would be huge for that few people (unless they all want to take leftovers!).

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 6:57pm
post #7 of 8

wilton's chart does have party size sevings.

amywood20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amywood20 Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 5:53pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks everyone. I think this person is wanting large, triangle shaped pieces and not the little squares. She has been very vague on what she wants and is leaving it up to me, which is difficult because I want to make sure she gets what she wants, although she is not being clear.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%