Is Swiss Buttercream Considered A Phf?

Business By SplendoraCakeandTea Updated 2 Nov 2010 , 6:55pm by daltonam

SplendoraCakeandTea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SplendoraCakeandTea Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 4:57pm
post #1 of 8

I'm looking into the rules and regulations for having a certified home kitchen in my township and it's incredibly confusing.

I'm understanding if you make non-potentially hazardous foods, you can bake out of your own home kitchen if you have no pets, but if you make potentially hazardous foods, you must bake out of a 2nd kitchen in your home, with no pets.

I feel like a dummy because I did go to pastry school, but I'm not sure if my swiss buttercream is a PHF?

PHF's are described as any food product that needs to be kept at a specific temperature to avoid food borne illness.

I normally keep my cakes in the frig, but that's just out of technique and storage purposes. So I'm not sure if it would be considered a PHF since it's made with egg whites and butter.

Any thoughts?

7 replies
MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 5:11pm
post #2 of 8

I don't know the official view, but I have only refrigerated SMBC when it's hot out to prevent melting. I have it on a cake at room temp for a few days with no problems at all though.

sweetpea223 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetpea223 Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 5:12pm
post #3 of 8

I would think not... because you heat up your eggwhites at a certain temp that shld kill the bacteria... if you are not comfortable with it, I know some people here have substituted it with eggwhite powder...

That is my opinion...

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 5:20pm
post #4 of 8

I have read on this site, some people cannot make it with their kitchen license. Maybe , different states are different.

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 5:27pm
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRowesHunny

I don't know the official view, but I have only refrigerated SMBC when it's hot out to prevent melting. I have it on a cake at room temp for a few days with no problems at all though.

Same here.

SplendoraCakeandTea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SplendoraCakeandTea Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 5:42pm
post #6 of 8

Thanks for the quick responses guys. I think I would have to consider it a PHF since it's butter. I looked online at a listing of PHF foods and butter was on there, along with eggs. As a general guide they said any food that is meat or dairy is normally a PHF. Ugh. . . . : (

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 6:44pm
post #7 of 8

It depends on the state. They called me to ask about the IMBC recipe when I filed all my recipes, but they said I could use it. Other states say that you can't use it, though.

daltonam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daltonam Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 6:55pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by SplendoraCakeandTea

Thanks for the quick responses guys. I think I would have to consider it a PHF since it's butter. I looked online at a listing of PHF foods and butter was on there, along with eggs. As a general guide they said any food that is meat or dairy is normally a PHF. Ugh. . . . : (

so does that mean you can't use buttercream (butter/crisco) ?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%