Fondant And Refrigeration

Decorating By cakesnglass Updated 2 Nov 2010 , 4:08pm by tracycakes

cakesnglass Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesnglass Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 1:36pm
post #1 of 3

Hello, It seems that every cake show on tv always stores there finished fondant cakes in the frig. till delivery.? I have attempted this at home (experiment cakes) in my extra frig. Not much success. (I use MMF) - What temperature do you set your frig?? I live in hot/humid Fla. and once I remove the fondant cake to the a/c room it starts to sweat (small beads) can anyone share there secrets please... would greatly appreciate it... icon_biggrin.gif

2 replies
artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 1:57pm
post #2 of 3

Condensation forms when the humidity in the air outside your fridge hits the cold surface of the cake and changes from a gas to a liquid on the cakes surface. The way to prevent this is to prevent the humid air from reaching the surface of your cake. So either bag it or have it in a sealed box BEFORE you take it out of the fridge.

People in dry climates don't usually have much of a problem with this. At most they'll get a light mist of condensation that evaporates quickly with no damage. But in Florida you need to take extra precautions.

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 4:08pm
post #3 of 3

Because of the tremendous amount of moisture in my commercial refrigerator, I have to put all of my cakes in boxes in the fridge, fondant or not. It really does help because the box absorbs excess moisutre.

My fridge is so bad that even buttercream cakes have drops of liquid on them if the cake stays overnight.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%