Will Foam Core Board Be Sturdy Enough???...

Decorating By Mikel79 Updated 2 Nov 2010 , 5:24pm by Mikel79

Mikel79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikel79 Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 11:53am
post #1 of 6

Hi Cakers!!! icon_biggrin.gif

I am making a 12" round cake this weekend. Yellow, BC iced. I have a 12" cake dummy that I placed on a 16" Silver cake base. I did not like how much room that I have left to play with.

I am doing a Batman cake that is going to have some edible image foes on the base standing. I need about 1 or so more inches. If I cut a base out of a 1/2" foam core board, will that support my cake?

I am afraid of picking the cake up and the board bending in the middle. I will be sure to pick up from the bottom and not the sides, but I want to make sure the board won't crack from the weight of the cake?

Input, Suggestions and Tips are appreciated!

Michael icon_biggrin.gif

5 replies
MissLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissLisa Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 12:08pm
post #2 of 6

You should be good to go with that. I use foamboard all the time. I don't always have the 1/2" on hand so I double up the 3/16" and it's fine.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 12:14pm
post #3 of 6

A possible idea for getting more room (I think you mean you want a little more room for your villians?) you might consider offsetting the 12" cake back on the stand so there's more room in front and less room in the back.

If you meant you thought there was too much room then make bigger borders.

Sounds like a cool cake.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 1:57pm
post #4 of 6

Yep. One layer of 1/2" foamcore will be plenty of support.

Something I like to do on heavier cakes is cut a small circle of 1/2" foamboard (approx. half the diameter of the cakeboard) and glue it to the bottom of the cakeboard. This does 3 things - 1) makes it easier to get your fingers under the cake to lift it, 2) gives you room for a larger or dangling ribbon around the edge of the board and 3) provides more support for the cake!

jones5cm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jones5cm Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 2:23pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeLM

Something I like to do on heavier cakes is cut a small circle of 1/2" foamboard (approx. half the diameter of the cakeboard) and glue it to the bottom of the cakeboard. This does 3 things - 1) makes it easier to get your fingers under the cake to lift it, 2) gives you room for a larger or dangling ribbon around the edge of the board and 3) provides more support for the cake!

Ooo! Great idea DianeM!! I'm gonna try that one thumbs_up.gif

Mikel79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikel79 Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 5:24pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeLM

Thank you everyone! I really like this idea about adding height to the bottom of the cake board! I have to try that out!

Michael

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%