Cakes From Decorators Are Different Than Retail Cakes ...

Decorating By Love2BakeCakes Updated 2 Nov 2010 , 11:51am by AmysCakesNCandies

Love2BakeCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Love2BakeCakes Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 5:14am
post #1 of 7

... CAN WE ADD THIS IN THE CONSTITUTION PLEASE!!!!!

Not a biggie, but just wanted to share. A lady asked if I would make a character cake for her soon to be 3 year old twin girls who are allergic to cows milk. I would have to use Rice milk, and the cake has to feed 30 people. She saw the exact character cake in the supermarket for $19.99, but she would like for her cake to be made and pay well under $50 for it.

I explained to her the difference between the two types of cakes, apologized for not being able to do it, and wished her well on her search.

An "ah hah" moment for me was when my fiance told me ... "You know all the work that you put into your cakes. If a potential client cannot meet your price, then they are not the client for you."

I still have a lot to learn, but I got that message LOUD AND CLEAR!!!!

6 replies
jenscreativity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenscreativity Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 5:29am
post #2 of 7

I have to agree with you husband..so true..as much as we like to do cakes..you have to make sure they pay for your work..good luck

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 5:29am
post #3 of 7

Smart move....I would nto touch that with a ten foot pole....allergies whoa in kids whoa.....that alone would be uh na uh

ThePurpleButterfly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThePurpleButterfly Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 5:38am
post #4 of 7

The cakes made in the grocery stores are NOT homemade. They come frozen, pre-made and the "cake decorator" just has to put the frosting and decor on it. My mother works in a bakery in a grocery store and she told me that there's a HUGE difference in a homemade cake and one bought there. The taste difference is vast as well. Shockingly, I haven't come across anyone who compares my prices with a grocery store..... mostly because they've tasted my cakes already. icon_wink.gif

Love2BakeCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Love2BakeCakes Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 5:51am
post #5 of 7

PurpleButterfly ~ She is a returning client of mine, and said she didn't know all that cake decorators took into account when making/decorating our works of art. I broke it down for her, and after I finished she said she will buy the character cake pan and attempt it on her own.

I have been baking cakes since I was a little girl ... now I may not know everything about cake decorating, but I am not CRAZY!!! icon_biggrin.gif

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 11:08am
post #6 of 7

well after she tries that character cake pan and sees how much time it takes to make one. She may very well be back or she may get bitten with the cake bug and become a member here icon_smile.gif

AmysCakesNCandies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmysCakesNCandies Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 11:51am
post #7 of 7

i've had 3 just this week! Once they heard thier price they balked- I told them to call me back if they change thier mind. And the thing is I am one of the most reasonably priced non-supermarket baker in the area, so they will not find the quality of a professional bakery/ decorator much cheaper. The way I see it is that my prices are reasonable but if you want a supermarket quality and price then go to a supermarket. And I have told customers that with the budget they have they should just call walmart or costco. Those who understand the quality difference- those are "our" customers.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%