What's Bakerellas Secret???

Decorating By CakesIMake Updated 3 Nov 2010 , 6:02pm by Debi2

CakesIMake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesIMake Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 4:06am
post #1 of 17

I made a ton of Cake POps over the weekend & I had to draw on them with americolors markers, but I had the hardest time trying to get a clean line or any line at that! The tip of the marker wouldn't even draw so I ended up using the side of it & still barely got no color to get on the pop...So what gives? Is there a secret touch out there that I don't know about icon_confused.gif

16 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 4:12am
post #2 of 17

This is on dipped chocolate? Some of the chocolate juju got on the tip and clogged it maybe. Or your markers were dry? Sorry that happened sounds pretty frustrating.

Well I just marked up some chocolate and it went fine. Hmm musta been dry markers?

CakesIMake Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 5:11am
post #3 of 17

it was a brand new package... I even tried the different colors & they were all like that..ugh so upset.

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 5:27am
post #4 of 17

They sound about like my crappy wilton ones icon_sad.gif

CakesIMake Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 6:03pm
post #5 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by madgeowens

They sound about like my crappy wilton ones icon_sad.gif

oh yes the Wilton one definitely suck

BluntlySpeakingKarma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BluntlySpeakingKarma Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 7:04pm
post #6 of 17

It's called high dollar photography and clever editing. And the patience to make only the ones needed for the picture absolutely perfect.

tastyart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastyart Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 7:29pm
post #7 of 17

I bought some cheap food color markers and they were such crap. I need to try a different brand and see if they are any better. You could always mix up some vodka/food color paint and use a brush. At least I think that would work on candy melts.

TPACakeGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TPACakeGirl Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 7:36pm
post #8 of 17

I have the same problem with the edible markers. I first used Wilton, and they were horrible, so I switched to Americolor. They don't work on the candy melts at all. They work great on fondant, but never the candy. It's so annoying.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 7:44pm
post #9 of 17

i have all the brand names. they all give trouble at one time or another.

Chasey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chasey Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 7:54pm
post #10 of 17

Is Bakerella using markers? Or something like this:

http://www.pastrychef.com/CANDY-WRITER-SET_p_695.html

Maybe she showed her brand in one of her blog posts?

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 8:01pm
post #11 of 17

http://tinyurl.com/2dxmce6

She doesn't name the brand. But she has a picture of them in a how-to so you can see what they look like. She refers to them as edible ink pens.

tsal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tsal Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 8:09pm
post #12 of 17

I would use a fine paint brush instead. I have tried the Wilton edible markers and they sucked, and then I invested in a pricier brand and they sucked too. The tips become mushy right away.

I now paint on my details with food coloring and a very fine, small paint brush. Much better results!

blissfulbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blissfulbaker Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 8:31pm
post #13 of 17

Bakerella uses Americolor markers. She had them when she did the book signing in Chicago. You need to be very light with the touch, and use it like a brush with very little pressure, otherwise the candy melts will scrape off and clog the marker. I wipe mine on paper towels to unclog them. I have found that Americolor works the best for me. Also, you can use any maker that is non-toxic, such as Crayola markers. Figure, if a toddler can suck on the end of it and it is safe for him, it is certainly safe enough to draw dot a few eyes and mouth on a cake pop. I have tried the Crayola markers on candy melts and they do not work very well, the tip is too pointy and it scrapes up the pop but they draw wonderfully on fondant or dried royal icing.

CakesIMake Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 1:47pm
post #14 of 17

Crayola markers! What a great idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blissfulbaker

Bakerella uses Americolor markers. She had them when she did the book signing in Chicago. You need to be very light with the touch, and use it like a brush with very little pressure, otherwise the candy melts will scrape off and clog the marker. I wipe mine on paper towels to unclog them. I have found that Americolor works the best for me. Also, you can use any maker that is non-toxic, such as Crayola markers. Figure, if a toddler can suck on the end of it and it is safe for him, it is certainly safe enough to draw dot a few eyes and mouth on a cake pop. I have tried the Crayola markers on candy melts and they do not work very well, the tip is too pointy and it scrapes up the pop but they draw wonderfully on fondant or dried royal icing.

Becky1679 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Becky1679 Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 1:51pm
post #15 of 17

I use Americolor edible ink pens all the time without problem. They do dry out eventually and sometimes do get clogged. But, I have used them to draw faces on pumpkins, ghosts, intials on purse cake pops, sugar skulls,met. Make sure the chocolate is dry. Sometimes, the condensation makes it hars to draw.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 2:04pm
post #16 of 17

Yes you have to get the feel for it--you can't just bear down (bore down bare down whatever it is) you can't just mash the hell out of 'em like a real marker.

Another idea about Americolor ones is that you can snip the tip to make even more of a fine line marker if that is ever a factor for you.

But mine wrote all over my white chocolate in the bowl no problem.

Remember those empty markers you were supposed to be able to put color down in? I could never get the hang of those.

Debi2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debi2 Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 6:02pm
post #17 of 17

Yeah....I just bought a package of the Wilton markers and I agree with the rest of you (wish I'd read this first!!!), and they don't work well at all. While the ink flowed fine, the tip was just so short and stubby I couldn't get the fine line I wanted and I couldn't fill inside a sculpted line. I might try and cut it as suggested for the Americolor markers.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%