Pineapple/coconut Cake Recipe?

Baking By loves2bake Updated 7 Nov 2010 , 8:35pm by loves2bake

loves2bake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loves2bake Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 3:13am
post #1 of 11

I've made Pineapple cakes & Coconut cakes, but I've never made one with both Pineapple & coconut together. Has anyone done this?
Do you make: a regular pineapple cake with coconut frosting?
a yellow cake with pineapple filling & coconut frosting?
Have other suggestions...?

Tia!

10 replies
pmarks0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmarks0 Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 3:29am
post #2 of 11

I made a Pina Colada cake once which is pineapple, coconut and rum. I used the Margarita cupcake recipe here on CC as a guide. I used the Pina Colada frozen mix as my liquid. I added rum to the cake as well (although I may have done that as a simle syrup). And I made a coconut buttercream using the Lorann Coconut for flavouring. I used a bit of that mixed with canned pineapple and a little bit of juice for the filling. Have to be careful of quantities because the pineapple with still release liquid, and it breaks down the buttercream just a bit. I out a thin layer of the regular buttercream down on the layer before filling it to prevent seepage. It turned out really good. icon_smile.gif

All4Show Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
All4Show Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 4:07am
post #3 of 11

You could tort and make alternating layers of pineapple and coconut cake. Start on bottom with pineapple cake top with a coconut filling, next a layer of coconut cake topped with pineapple filling and then repeat for two more layers ending with coconut buttercream to cover.

loves2bake Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 8:36pm
post #4 of 11

Great ideas ladies! They're making me want to go to a Luau or something..lol I think I'll make the pineapple cake with pineapple & coconut filling & coconut icing.. how's that sound? Too much pineapple?

PennieK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loves2bake Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 9:01pm
post #6 of 11

PennieK, This recipe looks amazing! It's making my mouth water to try it! Thanks a bunch icon_smile.gif

PennieK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PennieK Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 1:22am
post #7 of 11

Your welcome icon_biggrin.gif

SweetKath Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetKath Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 8:21pm
post #8 of 11

That recipe sounds delicious. There is a restaurant near me that serves a chambord cake that is fabulous - pineapple, coconut, vanilla pudding. It is made by a local baker so I don't know the recipe. If I had to guess-

yellow cake like WASC with a butter or vanilla flavor
Chambord simple syrup
pudding with pineapple pieces & coconut mixed in
dollop of whipped cream

I may have to stop there for dessert tomorrow!

apetricek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
apetricek Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 8:31pm
post #9 of 11

Here is mine...I make a vanilla cake and then add coconut and a touch of coconut extact to the batter.
I then fill mine with coconut mousse, pineapple filling (which you can get on global sugar art, or oasis supply) and then sprinkle with coconut...cover in buttercream, and top then with the pineapple filling and sprinkled coconut. I made this in the summer and it was a huge hit...

caymancake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caymancake Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 8:54pm
post #10 of 11

My pina colada cake is more of a pineapple cake (I've done it with both cake mix and scratch cake recipes - I LOVE seriouscake's yellow cake recipe...you just sub out the liquid from a 20 oz can of crushed pineapple and mince the crushed pineapple finer in the cake) with coconut buttercream and coconut flakes. If I know the person is a coconut lover, then I add a couple of teaspoons of coconut flavouring to the cake batter before baking...if they are more of a pineapple lover, then I add a couple of teaspoons of pineapple flavouring to the buttercream.

I hope that helps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2bake

I've made Pineapple cakes & Coconut cakes, but I've never made one with both Pineapple & coconut together. Has anyone done this?
Do you make: a regular pineapple cake with coconut frosting?
a yellow cake with pineapple filling & coconut frosting?
Have other suggestions...?

Tia!

loves2bake Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 8:35pm
post #11 of 11

Like some of you suggested, I didn't know whether they were more coconut fans or pineapple fans so I ended up adding both pineapple & coconut to both the cake & frosting. Similiar to the one PennieK suggested, but with my own twist. They were very pleased. Thank you for all your suggestions! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%