Viva Method

Decorating By cdbaker Updated 10 Nov 2010 , 7:57pm by Scarlets-Cakes

cdbaker Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 12:45am
post #1 of 10

I was just wondering what I have been doing wrong. At times I can get my BC icing as smooth as fondant. But then other times I can't get it to work. A cake I just did this weekend the icing kept sticking to the Viva. I even put it in the fridge to get it cold again, which has worked in the past, but did not work this time. Any suggestions?

9 replies
jibbies Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 12:58am
post #2 of 10

Are you using different types of buttercream? ie: crusting sometimes and non-crusting other times?
I would think that getting the icing cold in the fridge would make it stick. Try just letting your cakes sit for about 15-20 minutes at room temp and then smoothing.

UpAt2am Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 1:09am
post #3 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdbaker

I was just wondering what I have been doing wrong. At times I can get my BC icing as smooth as fondant. But then other times I can't get it to work. A cake I just did this weekend the icing kept sticking to the Viva. I even put it in the fridge to get it cold again, which has worked in the past, but did not work this time. Any suggestions?

what makes the viva method work is the crusting. fat to powedered sugar ratio and air are what makes BC crust...not getting it cold. the humidity in the fridge will actually counter act what you want to happen in order to get a good crust. it will harden the BC for sure...but it won't technically make it crust. just put your BC on the cake and be patient. depending on the humidity/dryness/warmth/cold in my house, it can take 15 minutes to 3 hours to crust. but eventually it will crust icon_smile.gif HTH!

cdgleason Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 1:17am
post #4 of 10

When I'm letting my buttercream 'crust' so that I can smooth it with the paper towel, I leave the cake set out at room temperature for about 15 minutes, depending on the temperature and the humidity in the house, etc. but I don't place the cake in the frig. If I'm in a hurry, I'll place the cake in a room with a ceiling fan on!

I was under the impression that when you take a cold cake out of the frig, condensation/moisture can form due to the temperature change, therefore, leaving the buttercream sticky, and making the 'crusted buttercream' become soft.
After I get the buttercream as smooth as glass, I will refrigerate the cake, but NOT until its smooth!

tokazodo Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 1:21am
post #5 of 10

I hope this helps...

TexasSugar Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 9:22pm
post #6 of 10

What recipe of icing are you using?

I don't put my cakes in the fridge to help them crust. If it is humid then it will take a little longer for the icing to crust. Where I am at, if I put something in the fridge and pulled it out it would be covered in sweat, so that would cause me more issues.

ninatat Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 3:25pm
post #7 of 10

Hi all, i notice Edna uses a lot of bc on her cakes, i've tried this but i have to make more bc, i do think it's more forgiving if you need it in some areas, i can't tell if her bc is a little thicker or thinner, sometimes i think i let mine crust a little to long, is that possible, i get most bc on good but sometimes get the wrinkles on the top and the viva works the best for me and i've also tried the hot spatula , any suggestions, mine come out ok, and she has been doing this for years, and i notice on some cakes i see have some have little flaws, in the gallery, are people ok with this, i'm not saying they look bad, i couldn't even get them as nice, but is there such a thing as perfect. just wondering thanks

Karen421 Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 4:06am
post #8 of 10

You might also try Melvira's method. She uses a high-density foam roller.

http://cakecentral.com/articles/126/quick-easy-smooth-icing-using-a-roller-melvira-method

ninatat Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 9:19pm
post #9 of 10

yea i have one too, i like the viva with the fondant tool, thanks

Scarlets-Cakes Posted 10 Nov 2010 , 7:57pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen421

You might also try Melvira's method. She uses a high-density foam roller.

http://cakecentral.com/articles/126/quick-easy-smooth-icing-using-a-roller-melvira-method

I cannot WAIT to try this on Friday. Thank you for posting the link!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%