Butter

Baking By nopleazn Updated 2 Nov 2010 , 5:39pm by daltonam

nopleazn Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 9:39pm
post #1 of 10

Hi all I'm making a buttercream icing that calls for unsalted butter, does anyone know what name brand out there that would be good for this?

9 replies
Herekittykitty Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 9:48pm
post #2 of 10

I'm a big fan of Land o' Lakes. But also like Crystal Farms (depending on where you live) and some grocery house brands.

aligotmatt Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 10:07pm
post #3 of 10

Grade AA butter. Just look at the boxes wherever you are.

daltonam Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 10:09pm
post #4 of 10

Land O Lakes is the best & most expensive where I live. Krogers in Georgia has it on sale this week. Seeing as that store is over 1hr from me, I won't be saving any money, LOL!!! I mostly use Members Makr from Sam's Club.

HereKittyKitty--Crystal Farms is what's considered store brand here. I see you use it, have you seen a huge difference or had any problems with it? I've never used it but I have used other store brands so the info would help me alot. It's amazing that some can taste different than others. Thanks!

LaurenLuLu Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 10:43pm
post #5 of 10

I like Plugra, so creamy and rich.

daltonam Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 11:18pm
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurenLuLu

I like Plugra, so creamy and rich.

OH never heard of that one..... it's google time icon_smile.gif

oh yeah that's european-style butter, I bet it does rock!!!

LaurenLuLu Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 10:49am
post #7 of 10

Girl, let me tell you.. Moan inducing.

Herekittykitty Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 5:07pm
post #8 of 10

Daltonam,
I usee it pretty interchangeably with Land o Lakes. I was hesitant to try it but I was making pracitce cakes and it was on sale so thought what the heck. It's good. Land o lakes is better but Crystal Farms is cheaper and comprable. One of the store brands here works fine but the taste is not there like with LOL and CF.

If CF is cheaper where you live, I say use it.

I have been hesitant to use the Member's Mark but maybe I'll give it a go, if it's cheaper than what I can get at the store, often it isn't.

OP, is any of this helping?

sweetpea223 Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 5:14pm
post #9 of 10

There is a lot out there...you just have to read the box... although I prefer Land o'lakes from all other brands... except when I want high quality butter for my bread...I use Plugra.

daltonam Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 5:39pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herekittykitty

I have been hesitant to use the Member's Mark but maybe I'll give it a go, if it's cheaper than what I can get at the store, often it isn't.

What I've learned to do is go to Sam's Club's web site, choose my club. Then you can get only "your club" prices. I can then see if it's had a price increase & also compare it to what my local grocery stores are advertising that week. When I last did this it was the cheapest (but not by much). I write this info down (for butter, cream, eggs, etc etc) & when I'm in a store that I didn't check already I can compare also.

butter (4 lbs total-quarters) $11.46, that's $2.87 each (it's went up again)

ALSO----Kroger's (in the Georgia ad I looked at) has LOL butter on sell this week for $2.50. I don't live close enough for it to benefit me, but I sure wish I did. (also have 1 gal milk unless than $3.00)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%