Secret Santa

Lounge By JRAE33 Updated 4 Nov 2010 , 3:00am by costumeczar

JRAE33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JRAE33 Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 9:38pm
post #1 of 7

I have been offline a few years cuz my computer was done. But the last time I was online around Christmas, cc members had done a Secret Santa. Do we still do that?

6 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 10:56pm
post #2 of 7

I'm not sure if someone spearheaded this endeavor last year or not but I know they did the year before..There was a few horror stories of people taking advantage though so maybe they decided not to do it anymore...Unfortunate...

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 11:22pm
post #3 of 7

I did it last year, but I can't do it this year because I have too much going on. It went okay last year, but it was hard to get people to donate.

JRAE33 Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 11:32pm
post #4 of 7

I am sad to hear that. The year I was able to participate was so rewarding. I guess in these times when so many people are struggling financially, it's harder and harder to find those who are willing to donate. And how sad to hear that there were some horror stories. It was such a wonderful experience for me, I was hoping it was something that still took place...

costumeczar Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 11:40pm
post #5 of 7

I think that I did end up getting enough people to give something, even if was a gift card instead of a present, but it was kind of like pulling teeth. It worked out in the end, though. I didn't have THAT many people asking for help, it sounded like the people who asked to be included really did need the help. I didn't get the feeling that anyone was trying to take advantage.

JRAE33 Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 2:39am
post #6 of 7

I am wondering if it's something we could get enough interest in this year? Anyone have any thoughts?

costumeczar Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 3:00am
post #7 of 7

You'd really just need to get someone who was willing to coordinate it. My daughter is going to be having surgery toward the end of December, and I have some other stuff going on, so I can't do it this year. All the coordinator has to do is first clear it with Jackie and Heath, then keep track of people who write in to ask for help and people who write in and say they can help.

I did the whole thing by pm. I had the people requesting help send me their mailing address, and the ages and genders of the kids involved. Also any likes/dislikes and ideas for things they'd like as gifts if the person wanted to buy something specific. You could also just do it as gift cards only. Then when I matched a donor to the request I gave them donor the mailing address and let them handle it from there. They could either stay anonymous or not, that was up to them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%