Decorating By Eva2 Updated 6 Nov 2010 , 1:22am by JanH

Eva2 Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 8:41pm
post #1 of 8

I am giving a price for a cake (party size), it's 2 tiers, the top tier is going to be 8 inch (feeds 15), the bottom is going to be 12inch (feeds 45-50). That is what I'm getting from the charts. I called a bakery, (I just wanted to make sure that that's the correct size). I was told that I would have to order a larger cake, that size would only feed 50. They said to get 60, I would need to oder 3 tiers and 12, 8 and 6 inch which would feed 70.
Is that correct or will a 12 and 8 inch be enough?

7 replies
jason_kraft Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 9:01pm
post #2 of 8

How many layers will each tier be? We conservatively estimate that 8" round party cakes with two 2" layers will feed 9-12 and 12" rounds will serve 20-26, the number of servings on your 12" cake sounds a little high.

A two tier 14"/10" cake would probably be a better choice.

Eva2 Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 9:31pm
post #3 of 8

ecah tier is 2 layers, about 4 inches total. The charts I'm looking at tells me that a 14 inch serves 65 party size.

brincess_b Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 10:06pm
post #4 of 8

wiltons party chart says an 8 and a 12 gives you 60 servings. (8 and 14 gives 83). the wedding servings give you more too.
what chart do you use?
you need to know what chart you are always going to use, and stick with it. maybe try making a cake for your self, and cut it to see how easy it is to get those serving numbers - and remember that wilton is the industry standard.
you might want a sheet for your customers on how to cut the cake - most people cut in wedges rather than the actual serving size. look up indydebis blog/ profile on here for some good images to use.

jason_kraft Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 10:32pm
post #5 of 8

The Wilton party chart uses 1.5"x2" servings, which seems stingy to me.

The numbers on Wilton's chart don't seem to add up, unless I'm missing something. Ignoring the height of the cake, a 1.5"x2" serving is 3 square inches. An 8" round cake has an area of ~50 sq in, which translates to 16 servings. A 12" round cake has an area of 113 sq in, or 37 servings. Add them up and you have 53 servings, which is less than Wilton's stated 60 servings.

nhbaker Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 10:43pm
post #6 of 8

Personally, I don't care for the Wilton Chart. I use Earlene Moore's.
I only use columns A & C (the rest can be confusing).

Kima920 Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 1:02am
post #7 of 8

I use the Wilton chart and quote it to customers all the time and never had a customer come to tell me that they didn't have enough cake for their event. I do use the party chart... I agree that the wedding chart slices are a bit stingy.

JanH Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 1:22am
post #8 of 8
Originally Posted by indydebi

Here are pics of cut pieces of 1x2x4 servings, so you can see they are not "paper thin", which is what most people think when they hear "one inch":

I also describe a serving size as "about the size of a folded over peanut butter sandwich."

Quote by @%username% on %date%