Confused With Stacking Carved Cakes

Decorating By tguegirl Updated 3 Nov 2010 , 7:14pm by CWR41

tguegirl Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 8:17pm
post #1 of 3

I've done a lot of carved cakes, but am confused about whether I'm supposed to be putting frosting underneath the cakeboard supports. For example, when I carve a cake, I do a 2" layer of cake, layer of frosting or ganache, a 2" layer of cake, put in my bubble tea straws, then add a cakeboard. Then add then another layer of cake and continue on. Right now, I'm leaving the cake right beneath the cakeboard bare and putting the thinnest smear of ganache or buttercream on it to adhere the top cakeboard before continuing on.

Should I be putting a full layer of buttercream or ganache underneath that cakeboard? I'm afraid it will stick to the board and be pulled off. Or if I let the buttercream crust or the ganache harden, I'm afraid that the cakeboard won't adhere and it will slide around. If I let it crust and then add a smear of buttercream, I would think it would all pull off.

Thanks for any help!

2 replies
tguegirl Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 7:06pm
post #2 of 3

anyone?

CWR41 Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 7:14pm
post #3 of 3

If you use a piece of waxed paper underneath the cake board (or sprinkle powdered sugar), it won't stick to the cake below and won't remove the layer of icing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%