Rolling Out Fondant Opinions

Decorating By sccandwbfan Updated 10 Nov 2010 , 3:00am by Bluehue

cake_architect Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake_architect Posted 9 Nov 2010 , 6:16am
post #31 of 38

i use the 24"x36" fondant work mat by fat daddio's and the wide glide wilton rolling pin (solid white one). rarely i'll put a little corn starch on the mat, but thats usually only if i've added so much dye the consistency of the fondant has changed. the mat and rolling pin together work beautifully!

the only complaint i do have about the mat, though, is that is has a small grid woven between it therefore i cannot flip the fondant upside down onto the cake straight from the mat =/ i've gotten used to the forklift motion when picking up my fondant though lol!

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 9 Nov 2010 , 6:57am
post #32 of 38

Confectioner sugar has corn starch in it, so as far as this "fermenting" goes, technically you will have it with any cake that uses confectioner sugar, butter cream or fondant, since they both use cs. Any cake that sits long enough will start to ooze brown crap lol....just mho icon_smile.gif My cakes never sit long, they are eaten so fast I never get a chance to have a scientific project with them (thank heaven)

mareg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mareg Posted 9 Nov 2010 , 7:59am
post #33 of 38

What mats are you using?

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 9 Nov 2010 , 9:07am
post #34 of 38

Ive been doing cakes about 3 and a half year now, i used ps at first, then switched to cs after the first 6 months, ive never ever had a problem with fermenting or funny smells or anything like that . Luck perhaps? ive always sworn by cs because i have extreemly hot hands, and i found ps just made the stickyness worse when it melted on me lol!

However, i have been looking at 'The Mat' and from what ive seen and heard, its a fantastic bit of kit and the way to go!

flowergirl1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flowergirl1 Posted 9 Nov 2010 , 11:19am
post #35 of 38

could you please let me know what is freezer paper im in the uk and would love to try it will feel really silly if it!s sitting in my baking drawer thank you.

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 9 Nov 2010 , 12:24pm
post #36 of 38

I dont think we have it really flowergirl, you can buy it, some supermarkets DO sell it, but ive never seen it in asda, you can try asking at the butchers section in morrisons if they would sell you some, that or you can buy it online x

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 9 Nov 2010 , 4:47pm
post #37 of 38

I use a yard of plastic/vinyl tablecloth....have not poisoned anyone yet....I either rub it with crisco or powder it with cornstarch.....of late I find the cornstarch is best! I can picl it right up and lay it on my cake icon_smile.gif

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 10 Nov 2010 , 3:00am
post #38 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by madgeowens

Confectioner sugar has corn starch in it, so as far as this "fermenting" goes, technically you will have it with any cake that uses confectioner sugar, butter cream or fondant, since they both use cs. Any cake that sits long enough will start to ooze brown crap lol....just mho icon_smile.gif My cakes never sit long, they are eaten so fast I never get a chance to have a scientific project with them (thank heaven)

We are very lucky here in Australia as our Pure Icing Sugar has no Corn Flour added to it. thumbs_up.gif
Just plain Icing Sugar is available - but that does have traces of CF added...
Bluehue

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%