With one silicone mat on your rolling area
With two sheets of plastic on your rolling area

Oy!

What method do you prefer?

37 replies
CarolinaCakeMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolinaCakeMom Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 5:53pm
post #2 of 38

I will tell you what I don't like. Powder sugar. I cannot brush it out of my fondant! The only other method I have used is CS. I would love to try a silicone mat. Interested to see what people with more experience have to say.

momto2pottsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momto2pottsy Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 6:09pm
post #3 of 38

I used to use icing sugar and I hate it! I found it dried out the fondant and I could never get it off!
I now use shortening and a mat and I will never turn back! My fondant has never looked so smooth and polished!

Jamielc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jamielc Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 6:26pm
post #4 of 38

Currently all I have is the Wilton mat (which I hate with a burning passion) and I HAVE to use shortening with it. Anything else and the fondant gets thrown at the wall (tehe). I don't have a nice stainless steel or granite countertop. I don't have nice vinyl mats. I'm also currently unemployed, so I'm stuck with my shortening and Wilton mat as any money that comes in is saved for bills. Can't wait for the day when I can get some big girl supplies, lol.

momto2pottsy Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 6:55pm
post #5 of 38

I'm pretty sure the mat I bought is called Daneco???(I'll check and get back to you) it was actually way cheaper than the wilton mat and is supposed to be used for cookies/pies/pastry, but I use it for fondant and I love it! I'll get back to you guys with the name. It was under $10.

deeb173 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deeb173 Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 6:58pm
post #6 of 38

just bought the sweetwise mats and rolled it between the two....AWESOME!! They have a demo on YouTube....and it is as easy as she makes it look. Look up sweetwise and how to cover a cake with fondant using the mat.

sccandwbfan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sccandwbfan Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 4:05pm
post #7 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeb173

just bought the sweetwise mats and rolled it between the two....AWESOME!! They have a demo on YouTube....and it is as easy as she makes it look. Look up sweetwise and how to cover a cake with fondant using the mat.

Do you live in TN? Or is that too personal to ask? icon_smile.gif

Love2BakeCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Love2BakeCakes Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 4:39pm
post #8 of 38

I too hate using powdered sugar, because you can never get it completely off the fondant. What has been working for me is the use of shortening (lightly coated, of course). The Wilton mat is garbage and I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND IT. The ends curl and it slides all over the place even after putting a cloth or my Silpat underneath it. I am thinking about buying the Sweetwise mat. (saw the video) It received mixed reviews from CC decorators in the post I read a few weeks ago.

deeb173 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deeb173 Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 1:11pm
post #9 of 38

No I live in TX but oddly enough I am from TN...born in Sparta about 70 miles from Nashville.

dellababe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dellababe Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 1:36pm
post #10 of 38

I use the mat from Sweetwise and it's awesome and not expensive!!!!!

sccandwbfan Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 12:41am
post #11 of 38

Have any of you that use the Sweet Wise mats taken the fondant class with them?

barb419 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
barb419 Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 5:15pm
post #12 of 38

I use freezer paper, I think that is what its called. I read somewhere on here about it and had some at home and it works great. Use the smooth side, not the paper side and you dont even have to use shortning or cs. I think its in the stores by the foil. Its 18" wide and comes in a roll. Also you dont have to remove the fondant from the paper and risk it tearing, just turn it over and place on cake and peal the paper off.

momto2pottsy Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 5:23pm
post #13 of 38

barb419 that sounds like an awesome idea! I'm definitely trying that! Thankyou!

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 5:59pm
post #14 of 38

Large silicon mat and large silicon rolling pin.

Never need to use powdered sugar and no way will i use cornflour (cornstarch) - worst thing to use with fondant of any kind. icon_razz.gifthumbsdown.gif
WHY ???
Because cornflour (cornstarch) when in contact with moisture will ferment after just a few days....-and this is very risky for those who are going to consume your cakes.
You won't see it - you won't smell it once your cake is covered and decorated - but the fermenting will be there...
Plus, the fermenting can cause bulging in your cakes...and if you ever see a brown liquid oozing from your cakes - then thats the fermntation process happening.... tapedshut.gif

Seriously - Get yourself the silicon products - nothing sticks - and so easy to lift your fondant from to cover your cakes. thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif plus you know your cakes will be healthy to consume...

Bluehue

sccandwbfan Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 6:13pm
post #15 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluehue

Because cornflour (cornstarch) when in contact with moisture will ferment after just a few days....-and this is very risky for those who are going to consume your cakes.
Bluehue

Wow, I didn't know know that. Thank you for posting that information for us. icon_smile.gif

Queento2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Queento2 Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 8:22pm
post #16 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by barb419

I use freezer paper, I think that is what its called. I read somewhere on here about it and had some at home and it works great. Use the smooth side, not the paper side and you dont even have to use shortning or cs. I think its in the stores by the foil. Its 18" wide and comes in a roll. Also you dont have to remove the fondant from the paper and risk it tearing, just turn it over and place on cake and peal the paper off.

Is this wax paper?

barb419 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
barb419 Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 10:36pm
post #17 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queento2

Quote:
Originally Posted by barb419

Is this wax paper?

Its not wax paper. Its the paper butchers use for meat. If you go get a cow or deer butchered they wrap the meat in this paper. One side is smooth, I guess like wax paper, and the other side is like regular paper you write on.

mandirombold Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandirombold Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 11:31pm
post #18 of 38

I use to use crisco, but now i use PS and the wilton mat and rolling pin. PS the wilton mat is garbage. If I wasn't to short I think I would do it right on the counter top. I have to se the mat and my kitchen table. I like the PS I have never had a problem with getting it off the fondant unless its really dark. I felt like crisco didnt give me a nice satinish finish. but i have been thinking of trying it out again now that i have alil more experience

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 11:49pm
post #19 of 38

I use 2 clear vinyl mats and roll my fondant between the two with a miniscule amount of shortening. I can flip it over, turn it around, lift it straight onto the cake from my mat. I would never use powdered sugar or cornstarch again. Those are so mess. When I'm finished, I simply wipe my mats off with hot soapy water and dry. Then I roll them up and store them in an old wrapping paper tube. When I want to use them again, I take them out, wipe them off with a little soapy water/dry/and rub on a tiny amount of shortening, and I'm ready to go again. Plus the fondant doesn't get dried out between the 2 sheets of vinyl, so I can roll it out for decorations and just take small amounts at a time and leave the rest in between so it doesn't dry out. Love it.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 9 Nov 2010 , 12:20am
post #20 of 38

I don't know about the fermetation being such an issue, powdered sugar is sugar and cornstarch, so that would be fermenting right along with the fondant if you use that in the icing. I only cover fondant cakes the day before I deliver them anyway, so I use cornstarch on the counter. I've never had brown liquid seeping from any of my cakes, though, gross!

I used to use a mat, but I find it to be something extra to mess with, and it's hard to keep them clean, so I just go the simple route now and don't mess with anything extra.

ChucKles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChucKles Posted 9 Nov 2010 , 12:47am
post #21 of 38

I use a light spray of canola oil, or sometimes icing sugar but when i ice my cake the side with the sugar on it is underneath so i dont have to worry about it coming off and still showing.

"I don't know about the fermetation being such an issue, powdered sugar is sugar and cornstarch, so that would be fermenting right along with the fondant if you use that in the icing" by costumeczar

In Australia we have two sorts of icing sugar available: Icing sugar is just pure fine sugar, and Icing Mixture which is a combination of icing sugar and cornflour.

I have heard of fermentation too particularly when icing fruit cakes.

costumeczar Posted 9 Nov 2010 , 1:22am
post #22 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChucKles

I use a light spray of canola oil, or sometimes icing sugar but when i ice my cake the side with the sugar on it is underneath so i dont have to worry about it coming off and still showing.

"I don't know about the fermetation being such an issue, powdered sugar is sugar and cornstarch, so that would be fermenting right along with the fondant if you use that in the icing" by costumeczar

In Australia we have two sorts of icing sugar available: Icing sugar is just pure fine sugar, and Icing Mixture which is a combination of icing sugar and cornflour.

I figured, I know that Bluehue is in Australia, so there are different types of cakes and icings used there than there are here. I wouldn't put fondant on a fruitcake anyway, even though I know that people do that traditionally. I want to eat all that brandy-goodness on its own, no fondant involved! Funny, I don't like brandy on its own but I loove it in a fruitcake.

Bluehue Posted 9 Nov 2010 , 1:26am
post #23 of 38
Quote:

Indeed, thats why i only ever buy Pure Icing Sugar...no cornflour in it. Thus the difference in price. thumbs_up.gif
I think our food safe regulations and health regulations are different to that of the States.
Its the same as old flour - that gets a smell about it.
*shudder* -
Oh well - i know what i know - i know what i have seen - and thats enough for me not to have cornflour near any of my cakes.... my returning customers are to precious to me.

Not only that - it makes the cake smell if there is any left after 3 days - icon_razz.gif .

Very true - again because people don't know or just don't care what they use .... icon_rolleyes.gif

Bluehue

costumeczar Posted 9 Nov 2010 , 1:30am
post #24 of 38
Quote:

Quote:

Indeed, thats why i only ever buy Pure Icing Sugar...no cornflour in it. Thus the difference in price. thumbs_up.gif
I think our food safe regulations and health regulations are different to that of the States.
Its the same as old flour - that gets a smell about it.
*shudder* -
Oh well - i know what i know - i know what i have seen - and thats enough for me not to have cornflour near any of my cakes.... my returning customers are to precious to me.

Not only that - it makes the cake smell if there is any left after 3 days - icon_razz.gif .

Very true - again because people don't know or just don't care what they use .... icon_rolleyes.gif

Bluehue

As far as I know there's only the cornstarch/sugar combo in the US, unless superfine sugar is another name for icing sugar. I don't think that I'd use superfine sugar to roll anything out, though, so it might be something differnet. Maybe it's superfine sugar ground up even more?

Bluehue Posted 9 Nov 2010 , 3:11am
post #25 of 38

Here you go - look under the heading of sugars and syrups -
Australia is the same as the UK.

http://www.miketodd.net/encyc/cooking-ingredients.htm

Actually, not a bad little page - rather informative ... thumbs_up.gif

Bluehue

costumeczar Posted 9 Nov 2010 , 3:18am
post #26 of 38

But then they've left off the pure sugar that you were mentioning. Is that just the same as the confectioner's sugar but without the cornstarch? The cornstarch is there basically to keep the sugar from clumping up, as far as I understand it. I had to make my own icing sugar once for a girl who was allergic to corn, and I just ground regular sugar up very very fine in a food processor. Actually, I'll just assume that the pure icing sugar is that, since I need to go to bed now, I'm tiiiiiired.

vickistark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickistark Posted 9 Nov 2010 , 3:26am
post #27 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamielc

Currently all I have is the Wilton mat (which I hate with a burning passion) and I HAVE to use shortening with it. Anything else and the fondant gets thrown at the wall (tehe). I don't have a nice stainless steel or granite countertop. I don't have nice vinyl mats. I'm also currently unemployed, so I'm stuck with my shortening and Wilton mat as any money that comes in is saved for bills. Can't wait for the day when I can get some big girl supplies, lol.

I found that if I wet the table a little first and rolled the mat out that it kind of stuck to the table and didn't move around on me if that is the problem you were having this might help you as well.

Bluehue Posted 9 Nov 2010 , 3:35am
post #28 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

But then they've left off the pure sugar that you were mentioning. Is that just the same as the confectioner's sugar but without the cornstarch?
Correct - i had to run off and answer phone The cornstarch is there basically to keep the sugar from clumping up, as far as I understand it. I had to make my own icing sugar once for a girl who was allergic to corn, and I just ground regular sugar up very very fine in a food processor. Actually, I'll just assume that the pure icing sugar is that,Yes - PURE ICING SUGAR thumbs_up.gifsince I need to go to bed now, I'm tiiiiiired.

11.35AM Tuesday morning over her on the west coast of Oz

Bluehue

cakefairy03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefairy03 Posted 9 Nov 2010 , 4:05am
post #29 of 38

I started out using the Wilton mat, but now it's just vinyl! No messing around with sugar, cornstarch, or shortening anymore! And you can't make me go back!!!

Nao_13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nao_13 Posted 9 Nov 2010 , 5:27am
post #30 of 38
Quote:

Large silicon mat and large silicon rolling pin.

Because cornflour (cornstarch) when in contact with moisture will ferment after just a few days....

Bluehue

That is absolutely disgusting!

Thank u soo much for the information

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%