What's The Secret To A Snowflake?

Decorating By pichou Updated 2 Nov 2010 , 3:26am by -K8memphis

pichou Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 5:34pm
post #1 of 9

i have to make a wedding cake in Jan and the bride wants it all covered in snowflakes.
i've seen some astonishing work on this site and have always wondered how the snowflakes looked so good.
well now i have a platform to ask...
how does one make standing snowflakes?

thx, sonia
thumbs_up.gif

8 replies
UpAt2am Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 5:41pm
post #2 of 9

i like to make mine with gumpaste. i bought some good cutters online and followed their patterns for shapes and cutouts of them. once good and hard, i dipped the snowflakes in differents shades of dusts/sugar/etc. i think my snowflake cake is in my photos.

costumeczar Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 2:34am
post #3 of 9

You can make them with royal icing, too, but they're more fragile. If you pipe them once, let them dry, then pipe over the first layer again you can reinforce them a little.

-K8memphis Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 2:56am
post #4 of 9

Gum arabic will strengthen royal icing.
It's a few dollars from Global Sugar Art.
I pipe mine with white chocolate.

jlynnw Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 3:01am
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by -K8memphis

Gum arabic will strengthen royal icing.
It's a few dollars from .
I pipe mine with white chocolate.

I like using white chocolate. You melt the broken ones and start over again. The also are amazing to float on top of cocoa and see the design slowly fade.

I have read some where that they used angel hair pasta to help make a "frame" for the larger flakes. I would guess you piped the design on the pasta and turn over for the other side to completely encase the pasta.

-K8memphis Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 3:05am
post #6 of 9

JLynnW--Also what I think is cool about the chocolate is that it has that melting factor like snow. I just think it's cool.

costumeczar Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 3:14am
post #7 of 9

Here's a blog post I did last year about a snowflake cake. I forgot I also used a paper punch to cut some of them out of thin gumpaste. http://acaketorememberva.blogspot.com/2010/01/snowflake-cake.html

jlynnw Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 3:15am
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by -K8memphis

JLynnW--Also what I think is cool about the chocolate is that it has that melting factor like snow. I just think it's cool.

The other plus with the white chocolate - you can always make more quickly if they break. With royal or gumpaste, you have to have drying time. Pipe, fridge or freezer for a quickie chill and you are back in the game.

I love snowflakes. White chocolate snowflakes being just like the real things makes me smile. Thanks K8memphis. I needed me a smile tonight!

-K8memphis Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 3:26am
post #9 of 9

Me too thanks, JLynnW!

<heart>

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%