How To: Freeze A Decorated Sheet Cake

Decorating By twingirls05 Updated 1 Nov 2010 , 2:36pm by twingirls05

twingirls05 Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 1:33pm
post #1 of 4

I am doing some sheet cakes (as kitchen cakes) for my cousins wedding this weekend. I wanted to get them done ahead of time and stick them in my freezer. Her main cake(s) will take up my entire kitchen and I just don't have room to have the sheet cakes sitting around! So, I was thinking of decorating them, freezing them and then taking them out on Friday to "thaw" to go to the weddingon Saturday.

What's your best I've never done this before!

I am using the SugarShack icing (which I've frozen bulk before, just never tried freezing a decorated cake...the icing was fine - not "sweaty" when I thawed it) for the cake. It will just be iced with an orange colored leaf on each slice.

I would imagine that freezing it decorated will be fine...however, I just have visions of it thawing and beinga complete disaster and then being screwed at the last minute. Ha!

If decorating, freezing and re-thawing is NOT a good idea, I need to know that too...and then I won't do it!

3 replies
leah_s Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 1:42pm
post #2 of 4

Well, a lot of bakeries do it all the time . . .

BTW, a sheet cake and a kitchen cake are not the same thing.

Loucinda Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 2:07pm
post #3 of 4

You know the difference between the sheet and kitchen cakes. icon_smile.gifthumbs_up.gif Put them in the boxes - wrap a couple of times with saran wrap, and then I would stick those into a large plastic bag (unscented garbage bag will work if you don't have the giant food ones since they are already wrapped in saran wrap) Then stick them in the freezer.

I have large boxes here that I think will work if you need any.

twingirls05 Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 2:36pm
post #4 of 4

Sorry on my wording with sheet/kitchen cakes. I "knew" what I was talking!!

Thanks Cindy, I already have the boxes!

Quote by @%username% on %date%