Hypothetical Question...

Business By letem_eat_cakes Updated 2 Nov 2010 , 12:24pm by daltonam

letem_eat_cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
letem_eat_cakes Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 1:07pm
post #1 of 88

First a little background...
Okay, I was looking into a couple of bakeries in my town to try to get a decorating job.
Well the first one was fine. She wasn't looking for anyone at this time, fine.
THE OTHER ONE...
I was not really interested in this place to begin with because their work is not that great, but it is an actual baker and I thought I could maybe get some experience. Well, the first thing she asked me was how long would it take me to ice and decorate a quarter sheet cake with a dozen roses and double borders? I told her about 20 to 30 minutes. I mean I am really quick to whip out roses but I generally want them to look nice. Well, she told me that the correct answer was 5 MINUTES! icon_eek.gif

so my hypothetical question...
How long would it take you to create a dozen buttercream roses, ice and decorate a 1/4 sheet cake? and make it look half way decent?

ETA: correcting typos

87 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 1:14pm
post #2 of 88

five minutes

BethLS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BethLS Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 1:14pm
post #3 of 88

If I get them all lined up for production purposes...very fast!

For example:

I used to work at Walmart as a decorator. We would base ice 32 1/4 sheet cakes (two CASES of each flavor). (We'd mark the bottoms of the boards with what flavor the cakes were) We'd mix up the colors we wanted and place them in bags. We'd do half of each flavor in each color...I could do them all, doing it that way, in an hour or so. (Not including boarding up time/packaging) When it came to the Walmart way of doing things...fast was key! And after 2 years of doing it their way, you got darn good at it, or you didn't have a job!

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 1:20pm
post #4 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by BethLS

If I get them all lined up for production purposes...very fast!

For example:

I used to work at Walmart as a decorator. We would base ice 32 1/4 sheet cakes (two CASES of each flavor). (We'd mark the bottoms of the boards with what flavor the cakes were) We'd mix up the colors we wanted and place them in bags. We'd do half of each flavor in each color...I could do them all, doing it that way, in an hour or so. (Not including boarding up time/packaging) When it came to the Walmart way of doing things...fast was key! And after 2 years of doing it their way, you got darn good at it, or you didn't have a job!

Same here, it's all about the prep work and setting up for assembly line. At home we're used to working on one or two cakes at a time, but in a bakery atmospher (well production bakery) you have many of the same type of cakes so you can set up an assembly line. I worked in a wal-mart bakery also and did like BethLS said. So in the end it breaks down to 1.87 mins per cake. That is pretty quick, but in that type of environment you're not working on one cake at a time. And yes, my roses still looked good. After doing them that quickly for so long I can whip out a rose REALLY quick, and of course int hat type of environment you don't do a wilton rose with two different tips, you do it all with one rose petal tip.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 1:49pm
post #5 of 88

You have to remember that you start with all the icing you're going to need ALL DAY mixed up and ready to go.

Ditto all the colors, in bags for the entire day ready to go before you start. Then just change out tips as needed.

It'd probably take me 10 minutes for a 1/4 sheet cake + doz roses, but I'm way out of practice.

snocilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snocilla Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 1:52pm
post #6 of 88

Well for me, it would be 20-30 minutes...

michel30014 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michel30014 Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 1:57pm
post #7 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by snocilla

Well for me, it would be 20-30 minutes...

I agree, it would take me this long, also.

daltonam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daltonam Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 2:03pm
post #8 of 88

Well after 4+ yrs decorating, I CAN'T make a decent rose & I don't care if I ever do. So my time frame would be indefinite, LMBO! Now I'd like to time myself on just ice & border.

(BTW--thankfully, I HAVEN'T lost business yet b/c I can't make them)

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 2:23pm
post #9 of 88

Is two days too long?

snocilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snocilla Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 2:25pm
post #10 of 88

Oh, and letem_eat_cakes, congrats on the baby! You must be getting excited! Almost there!

daltonam Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 2:30pm
post #11 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthecake

Is two days too long?

LOVE IT!

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 2:43pm
post #12 of 88

Yeah, I would say 20-30 minutes for me too, but I haven't made a buttercream rose is over a year, maybe closer to 2... hah!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 2:46pm
post #13 of 88

Hmmm...I'd say that you could whip out the roses pretty fast, ice the cake pretty fast, but make it look halfway decent? No sheet cake with icing roses looks good, so I'll assume that this is a trick question. icon_twisted.gif

-K8memphis Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 2:55pm
post #14 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

Hmmm...I'd say that you could whip out the roses pretty fast, ice the cake pretty fast, but make it look halfway decent? No sheet cake with icing roses looks good, so I'll assume that this is a trick question. icon_twisted.gif

http://acmecakes.com/images/RIMG0027.JPG

This one is pretty.

daltonam Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 2:57pm
post #15 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by -K8memphis

Quote:

This one is pretty.

OH WOW, you're good, to do that in 5 minutes!!!! pretty

-K8memphis Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 3:00pm
post #16 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by daltonam

Quote:

Quote:

This one is pretty.

OH WOW, you're good, to do that in 5 minutes!!!! pretty

Minus the lily of the valley & wisteria.

The original 5 minute standard the op presented is iced, double bordered and a dozen roses--this cake has more than that and it wasn't presented as a five minute cake.

This picture is in reference to the post that said there's no halfway decent sheet cake with roses and mine's very nice. In fact I just did that same design for another client. Her Mom's 80th birthday.

tastyart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastyart Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 3:05pm
post #17 of 88

I don't make good BC roses either. I guess I have never been very motivated to put in the necessary practice since I don't really care for them. I like to make chocolate roses instead!

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 3:08pm
post #18 of 88

I would assume if you don,k know how to make icing roses, no sheet cake would look good. Don,t forget Than Than (sp) beautiful cakes on this site. and heavenlycake(i do believe). You can make beautiful roses with american b/c and imbc,etc. But ,again, you have to know how to make them to start with. Lots fo beautiful cakes on this stie and all other site over the internet with beautiful edible roses(not hard g/p) roses. They are all beautiful in my opinion. I do pride myself in making american b/c , imbc, smbc, g/p roses ,etc.

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 3:08pm
post #19 of 88

i can do it pretty quick too...it takes me 20 minutes to do a 2 tier with roses.

i think my rose cakes are pretty.......

you gotta think of how the owner thinks...bottom line, if you are slow, and getting paid by the hour, they won't be making any money.

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 3:23pm
post #20 of 88

heres a 20 minute cake
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1334868.html

it's not perfect...but i gotta whoop em out so i can pay the rent...lol

-K8memphis Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 3:25pm
post #21 of 88
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

This one is pretty.

I'm not a fan. Too old-lady style for me. But that's just sheet cakes and buttercream roses for you.

That's why people buy them for their mother's 80th birthday. Du-uh.
The last one I did was $200. Yeah it really stunk, man. icon_lol.gif

-K8memphis Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 3:28pm
post #22 of 88

Got jr high?

costumeczar Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 3:29pm
post #23 of 88
Quote:

Got jr high?

I think you own that one.

-K8memphis Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 3:31pm
post #24 of 88
Quote:

Quote:

Got jr high?

Ok, I get it you think I'm an old lady in jr high--feel better?
How 'bout leave me alone?

costumeczar Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 3:32pm
post #25 of 88
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Got jr high?

Ok, I get it you think I'm an old lady in jr high--feel better?
How 'bout leave me alone?

oy...

daltonam Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 3:42pm
post #26 of 88

thanks for the laughs guys icon_smile.gif

-K8memphis Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 3:43pm
post #27 of 88

So to op--if you had a mind to train for a job like that take your rose nail and just twirl it--keep twirling it between your fingers faster and faster and smoother and smoother back and forth.

Then you just gotta get your icing to flow that fast, squeeze it out that fast making the rose. Put a small amount of icing in the bag to facilitate that part of the training.

If you can show that you are getting there, practicing and improving you would be a more likely candidate for that type of job if you indeed are truly interested.

And that type of job is a great benefit to any decorator plumping up their speed and efficiency. Also could lead to a grocery store job with great benefits which to me is nothing to scoff at these days.

-K8memphis Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 3:44pm
post #28 of 88
Quote:

I'm not laughing that mess was not funny to me. It's ugly.

VickeyC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VickeyC Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 3:45pm
post #29 of 88

Why can't people just get along? icon_rolleyes.gif There are so many post on here lately where people are just down right mean to each other. icon_mad.gif There is NO reason for people to be this way. thumbsdown.gif
Put your big girl panties on, act your ages, and treat each other with respect. thumbs_up.gif

daltonam Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 3:52pm
post #30 of 88
Quote:

Quote:

I'm not laughing that mess was not funny to me. It's ugly.

Sadly it was to me. I guess I thought it was funny for someone to get worked up like that. (that's to both of you & not to you alone.)

as for liking bc roses & that style cake......guys really, to each their own.

To the original poster...........GOOD LUCK on whatever job you decide to apply for. As for the employer that you are talking about, I wouldn't want to work for a person that spoke to me that way.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%