Wedding Cake Help

Decorating By bengals Updated 1 Nov 2010 , 3:36pm by bengals

bengals Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bengals Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 9:31am
post #1 of 8

Hi all I'm making a three tier wedding cake and when I levelled the cakes the middle tier lost quite a bit of height I covered them all in marzipan and the middle tier is significantly shorter than the other two.

Is there anything I can do to give this tier an extra 2inches? I don't have time to bake another one.

Any ideas or help would be most appreciated.

Thanks

7 replies
leepat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leepat Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 9:44am
post #2 of 8

How about adding extra cardboard rounds to it to add heighth or may a styrofoam round if you have it.

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 9:51am
post #3 of 8

i would sit the cake on another drum, that should boost it up. you can then go around the board edge with a small sausage of marzipan and smooth it over before you cover it with icing. Id problies use something like a hot glue gun to attach the two boards to make sure there definately stuck

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 10:07am
post #4 of 8

If this cake is for a paying customer, then I suggest you find the time to bake another one.

I certainly would be upset if I paid for a full tier, only to find that I was given a half-tier plus a lot of cardboard or a styrofoam cake form.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

bengals Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 2:35pm
post #5 of 8

Thankyou all for your helpful suggestions I'll mull these over make a decision on how to sort this out I just got brain freeze and wasn't sure what would look the best.

I'd also like to say that it is not for a paying customer but for a very dear friend who is accepting the cake from me as a wedding gift and I will be making her aware of the situation.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 2:45pm
post #6 of 8

Incorporate it into the design. Many times a super short or a super tall tier is part of the design especially in a gift cake.

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 2:47pm
post #7 of 8

I personally have been really liking multi height tiers lately. I think a 4", 2" and 4" stacked cake is pretty. I like to do a horizontal design around the short tier, and vertical designs around the tall tiers. And if colors are involved, do the tall tiers both ivory with green designs, then the short tier green with ivory.

bengals Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 3:36pm
post #8 of 8

I was doing 10,8 and 6 inch tiers and the problem is with the 8 the cake is to be black and white and the bride requested a black bow which I was planning on doing around the middle tier.

Do you reckon I could still manage this?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%