Moving To Wyoming

Lounge By rosita6882 Updated 6 Dec 2010 , 6:32am by Corrie76

rosita6882 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosita6882 Posted 31 Oct 2010 , 7:34pm
post #1 of 5

Hi everyone, Im going to be moving from deep south Texas to Wyoming. I will be taking my 4 kids with me to join my husband who works up there but had some questions. For all those who live in cold states, what are the essentials i will have to buy or have for these upcoming winter months. I have never lived in less than 40 degree weather and have only seen snow once. So any info or tips would be greatly appreciate.

Thanks,
Rosie

4 replies
CakesbyCarla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyCarla Posted 31 Oct 2010 , 9:17pm
post #2 of 5

How I envy you! I'm orginally from up that way, but am now in East Texas LOL!

I'd make sure you're kids have a heavy duty coat, mittens or gloves, scarves and stocking caps. Snow boots might not be a bad idea either.

Sweaters and other clothes that can be layered are also good.

Oh, and a side note, (maybe you already know) but Wyoming has Cottage Food Laws, so you could make and sell cakes from your home. Not sure of what sort of licensing and inspecting they require, but I know it's possible. Just FYI.

Best of luck to you. The winter may be rough on you but that summer will make up for it (so much nicer than the Texas heat!!)

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 31 Oct 2010 , 9:51pm
post #3 of 5

What part are you moving to? I have visited several times, beautiful state! You'll have lots to see and do being around several National Parks there. Long undies would be a good idea too.

wyovol Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wyovol Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 1:50am
post #4 of 5

I moved from TN to WY and lived there for 3 years -- it was a pretty big climate change for me too. We lived in Laramie.

Definitely invest in good winter clothing. You will be using it from September to April. icon_smile.gif The (small) spring and summer are awesome -- no humidity, reasonable temperatures, etc.

I bought my winter coat from Lands End and it held up well -- I still use it here in TN and it is over 10 years old. the kids will probably need snow boots. Make sure you get some good hats, too.

When you get there, change out your car battery for a heave duty one that can handle the cold. We didn't do that when we first moved there and the cold sucked all the power from the battery a couple of times. We never invested in a block heater, but you might want to look into that as well.

Good luck! Winter is beautiful. Once I learned how to drive in the snow, it was much better, too! Nothing ever shuts down for snow -- life just goes on. icon_smile.gif

Corrie76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Corrie76 Posted 6 Dec 2010 , 6:32am
post #5 of 5

Maybe you are already here in WY....just wanted to say welcome! i'm guessing if it's a business related move,from TX,it's oil or railroad that is bringing you(?). And yes, you can bake from your home in WY (lucky us). Since you are coming from Tx, the most important thing to stock up on is moisturizer- between the cold and the wind, your poor skin and scalp will be in for a shock.
Also, Wyomingites are frightened of filling, exotic flavors and sour cream in their cakes (I just keep the sour cream a little secret).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%