Smoothing Almost Homemade Buttercream (Hello, Cupcake)

Decorating By allie73 Updated 6 Nov 2010 , 12:18pm by daltonam

allie73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allie73 Posted 31 Oct 2010 , 3:58pm
post #1 of 9

This is one of the most delicious buttercreams I have ever made, and the texture is divine as well, but I have only used it on cupcakes for my family. I would like to try it on a cake - how does it smooth? And do you need to add more powdered sugar to make a thicker consistency? I'd like to give it a try on a couple of cakes I am doing for next weekend. Thanks a bunch!

8 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 31 Oct 2010 , 4:44pm
post #2 of 9

What BC recipe are you referring too? There are thousands....

allie73 Posted 31 Oct 2010 , 9:10pm
post #3 of 9

I am referring to the recipe out of the Hello, Cupcake book called Almost Homemade Buttercream. It is made with marshmallow fluff, butter, powdered sugar and vanilla. It is delicious!

chinadoll652003 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chinadoll652003 Posted 31 Oct 2010 , 9:23pm
post #4 of 9

Would love to try the recipe. Could you post it please?

allie73 Posted 31 Oct 2010 , 9:36pm
post #5 of 9

The recipe is:

1 16-ounce jar Marshmallow Fluff
3 sticks unsalted butter (I use 1 salted, 2 unsalted)
1 tsp. vanilla (or clear vanilla)
1/2 cup powdered sugar

Cut butter into tablespoon portions. Beat Marshmallow fluff, then add butter, one chunk at a time. Add vanilla and p.s. Beat until light and fluffy.

It is so yummy, did great cupcakes, I'm just afraid that there will be air bubbles on a big cake.

Has anyone used this icing as the main icing on a cake?

daltonam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daltonam Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 3:30pm
post #6 of 9

Sounds yummy & I have all the stuff here to make it. I'm guessing that it won't crust & the cupcakes should time you if it will. How did they do after sitting for a little while?

My son's birthday is this weekend so I'll try it for you icon_smile.gif

chinadoll652003 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chinadoll652003 Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 3:07am
post #7 of 9

Thanks for posting the recipe Allie. A normal BC recipe has more PS in it, so I'm not sure if it would crust. As far as smoothing goes.... I don't see any way of getting it as smooth as a crusting BC, but you should be able to get it fairly smooth I would think. You might try a hot knife? after you ice the cake. Let me know how it turns out. I have a cake to do this weekend so I will give it a try as well. HTH

allie73 Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 5:40pm
post #8 of 9

I actually gave it a try, and this recipe smooths like a DREAM! I do not like the gritty texture of a crusting buttercream, and this recipe not only tastes delicious, but smooths very well with a hot knife.

It's a bit more expensive to make than the icing I usually use (boiled milk-flour mixture + butter + ps), but it is sooooo yummy that I might just have to stick with it!

As a note, I was able to cover a 10" tier, an 8" tier and a 6" tier with a triple batch.

daltonam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daltonam Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 12:18pm
post #9 of 9

Oh I'm so glad you got your answer, I had a nightmare cake yesterday & never even made my son one. No worries he said he didn't want one, but I was (still am I hope) going to make him one. Now I really want to try this recipe.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%