Where Does Everybody Buy Their Cake Decorating Supplies?

Lounge By rkei Updated 2 Nov 2010 , 12:37pm by jo_ann

rkei Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rkei Posted 31 Oct 2010 , 3:44pm
post #1 of 7

I normally buy at Walmart or Michaels.... but gosh, they are very, very expensive. The Michael's I go to just raised their prices dramaticly. I can't really afford anything anymore in there! Where do you shop?

6 replies
Polarcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Polarcakes Posted 31 Oct 2010 , 4:04pm
post #2 of 7

I`ve had good results finding stuff on Ebay. Even with the cost of shipping, I end up saving, cause I`ll usually buy more than one item from a seller.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 31 Oct 2010 , 4:06pm
post #3 of 7

Well, I can't speak for everybody, but I buy a lot of my supplies online from Global Sugar Art. It really depends on what kind of supplies you need.

Do you have a Hobby Lobby near you? Every couple of months, they issue a 40% off ALL Wilton supplies coupon. No limit! That's when I stock up on disposable bags, parchment paper, meringue powder, piping gel, etc..

Michael's will soon stop offering coupons in print ads. You'll have to sign up on their website to get coupons in your email.

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 31 Oct 2010 , 4:49pm
post #4 of 7

I get mine mostly from Michael's (tools, Duff's fondant, gumpaste, all with coupons) and Walmart (meringue powder, piping gel, sometimes boxes). We have a Joann's here too but they are more expensive than Michael's.
I occasionally go to Hobby Lobby but the closed on Sunday thing with them is hard.

There's a small (read limited stock and very expensive) supply store quite close to me that carries a brand of boxes that I really like so I'll go there for a box or 2 once in a while.

There's an amazing cake supply store near Denver (about an hour drive) that I LOVE; last time I went I bought a set of cake dummies, several tips, a set of petal cutters, a couple of Americolor colors, and 2 cake decorating books.

I don't like ordering online just because I like to browse, pick things up, look them over and I hate paying shipping. Of course, this is just a hobby for me so time and cost effectiveness isn't the same issue it is for a pro.

sweetts99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetts99 Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 7:32pm
post #5 of 7

I am soo glad rkei started this thread! I was going to but thought I should search first. I was wondering the same thing about supplies. I know my Walmart is down sizing the wilton supplies and I am not finding what I need. My Michaels has supplies but again, not all of what I am looking for sometimes. I can get the basics, and every now and then something that makes me say hmmmmm.
I had a flower shop back home that had a second floor that sold all kinds of supplies, special icing colors, pans, tips, boxes, toppers, ect..... I miss it. Since moving to Nashville I have not been able to find a place like this.
I hear the term Americolor often on here. Is it better than the wilton colors? Where would a person find them?
If anyone is in the nashville area and has a good supply store, please let me know.

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 1:40am
post #6 of 7

Hobby Lobby or Micheal's just doesn't have a lot of the things I use - so for me it is Global Sugar Art. There shipping seems to be the most reasonable also.

jo_ann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jo_ann Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 12:37pm
post #7 of 7

I buy pretty much everything from GSA. But I am close enough to them to go directly to their store and shop. Downside of that is that I usually spend alot more because it's like being a kid in a candy store. Can't resist.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%