Centre If A Starburst Type Cake... How To Please..

Decorating By 2manycooks Updated 31 Oct 2010 , 5:09pm by 2manycooks

2manycooks Posted 31 Oct 2010 , 2:06pm
post #1 of 3


Im busy making a buzzlightyear cake at the moment and I want him to look like he has just burst through the top of the cake. I have modelled his top half and popped a support through him ready to pop him directly into the centre of the cake but how do I pull back the centre of the cake to make it look like he has just burst through the fondant?

Many Thanks
H x

2 replies
CakesbyCarla Posted 31 Oct 2010 , 4:46pm
post #2 of 3

I'm going to assume you're covering this cake with fondant? If so here's how you can do it..

Bascially you'll have two layers of fondant under your figure. The bottom layer will just be a small area (enough to fit under your figure and have a little excess around him) and the top layer will be just the outer covering of fondant for the entire cake.

What you'll do it take a sharp knife or exacto knife and cut upside down V slits but only go through the TOP layer so that bottom layer will stay intact below. Then fold over your upside down V flaps and prop them up with something to help them dry in place. Then you can stick your figure into the "explosion".

Here's an example of the flaps. You can't see what's beneath the football, but if there's any gap between your figure and the cut out, you'll see the bottom swatch of fondant you laid under outermost layer of fondant.

Hope that makes sense.


2manycooks Posted 31 Oct 2010 , 5:09pm
post #3 of 3

Thats brilliant, thank you so much! Cakes amazing! H x

Quote by @%username% on %date%