Holiday Gifts For Customers...yay Or Nay?

Business By cms2 Updated 2 Nov 2010 , 1:52pm by johnson6ofus

cms2 Posted 31 Oct 2010 , 1:35pm
post #1 of 8

I was thinking that I'd like to do something nice for my customers this year. Background info... Started home based business, a year a half later, got pregnant, quit business, told everyone I wasn't doing anymore cakes, didn't make a cake for a whole year, realized how much I missed it and started my business back up again. I was so afraid that it wouldn't be well received but it's been great and I've been busier than ever. I rely solely on word of mouth and repeat customers so I truly do appreciate them. In all honesty, I really just feel grateful to be caking again.

Anyway, I was thinking about doing 6 different flavors of cupcakes decorated for the holidays, petite fours, a 6" decorated cake, or a yule log. I'm leaning toward the cupcakes though.

My DH said that I shouldn't be doing gifts for them. He said they come to me because they like what I do and there's no need to thank them for that. They should be thanking me. I think it really boils down to money for DH. He doesn't want me to spend money to do this, nor does he want me working for free.

I'm not crazy about coupon ideas and my prices are reasonable enough already.

But I open to hear what you all think, what your doing, and what seems to have worked for you in the past.

Thanks so much! icon_smile.gif

7 replies
snowshoe1 Posted 31 Oct 2010 , 2:51pm
post #2 of 8

I think the gifts you have in mind are a bit much. If you really want to give something out, maybe tone it down a little - just a few cupcakes or cookies with a card.

Our plan to thank our customers is to send out an automated email blast wishing them happy holidays. I'm feeling guilty after reading what you are thinking of giving icon_redface.gif

DianeLM Posted 31 Oct 2010 , 2:55pm
post #3 of 8

Last year, instead of gifts, I sent personalized postcards to my customers featuring a picture of one of their cakes. It was very well received. It resulted in orders from people who had lost my contact info. icon_smile.gif

cms2 Posted 31 Oct 2010 , 3:14pm
post #4 of 8

DianeLM- that's a neat idea. How'd you do that? Do you have any pics of the postcards?

Crazboutcakes Posted 31 Oct 2010 , 3:22pm
post #5 of 8

yeah DianeLM that sounds like a nice idea any pics?

DianeLM Posted 31 Oct 2010 , 3:58pm
post #6 of 8

I only have pics of 2 postcards, but they're Word documents, so I can't attach them here.

I formatted the page to accomodate four postcard. I added the sentiment "Wishing you a sweet holiday season" to the bottom of each card. Then, I inserted a cake pic from my hard drive to each postcard. The cakes were in washout.

To make sure my formatting was consistent, I just replaced the cake pictures after printing, rather than creating a new page for each. That's why I only have two saved.

On the other side, I printed my information. Addressed each with a label, and off they went!

Kiddiekakes Posted 31 Oct 2010 , 4:22pm
post #7 of 8

Neat idea about the postcards!!

johnson6ofus Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 1:52pm
post #8 of 8

Only "gift" worth considering is one as advertizing.... Like offering it after Thanksgiving, as an example of your holiday work, and hoping for orders.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%