Coating On My Cake Balls/pops Cracking

Baking By Monirr04 Updated 10 May 2014 , 2:03am by flosspkm

Monirr04 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monirr04 Posted 31 Oct 2010 , 12:49pm
post #1 of 10

Hi all.
Am I doing something wrong or is there some trick to this?? Every time I make cake balls or cake pops and dip them in the candy coating they dry beautifully and then crack. How do you keep this from happening.
Here are my steps:
Take cake and mix with icing. Shape into a ball and place on wax paperlined cookie sheet. Put in freezer for 10 - 15 minutes and then in the fridge. I usually take about 4 out at a time and dip, tap the excessive off and put in a stryofoam block and let dry. Couple of minutes later being to cry and grab for the bottle of wine, tequilla, rum (what ever is close) because I have several with large cracks. I use the Wilton candy melting discs.

Any suggestions, hints, tips....??

Thank you so much!

9 replies
MariaK38 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaK38 Posted 31 Oct 2010 , 2:51pm
post #2 of 10

I had this issue, too... drove me nuts! Now I don't refrigerate or freeze them and no cracking... but you have to be extra careful dipping. I'm not sure if they cracked because of the cold or the moisture/condensation.
Good luck!

suzylynn58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzylynn58 Posted 31 Oct 2010 , 3:07pm
post #3 of 10

I've had that problem too. I think they expand as they come to room temp and that's what makes them crack.

Monirr04 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monirr04 Posted 31 Oct 2010 , 3:18pm
post #4 of 10

Well...darn it. Most people say they stick them in the fridge, how do they get them not to crack? Maria, were they cracking when you just stuck them in the fridge not the freezer?

mom2twogrlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2twogrlz Posted 31 Oct 2010 , 3:32pm
post #5 of 10

Mine did this when I used too much frosting. The last ones I made I didn't use any frosting at all, the cake was moist enough. They turned out perfect. Maybe give that a whirl. You don't need the frosting for sweetness, the chocolate does that for you. Just a thought. HTH

MariaK38 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaK38 Posted 31 Oct 2010 , 3:39pm
post #6 of 10

I never tried them in the fridge (it was too crowded so I had to use the freezer!). I might do that next time.
I've also heard of people baking them for 8 minutes at 300, or something like that. I might try that, too. Here's a baked cake balls thread...

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-51807-baked.html+balls

pinkpiggie78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkpiggie78 Posted 31 Oct 2010 , 3:42pm
post #7 of 10

I put mine in the freezer and dip them once. Let them crack and come to room temp and then dip them again.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 31 Oct 2010 , 4:36pm
post #8 of 10

Bakerella says to refridgerate them and not freeze....I just got her great cake pop book..Can't wait to make them!!

videominx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
videominx Posted 31 Oct 2010 , 5:02pm
post #9 of 10

I've found that the cake and the dipping liquid have to be as close to the same temperature as possible before you start dipping. I tried dipping the frozen cake balls into hot melted chocolate and that's what gave me the most cracking. Now I take my pre-formed cake balls out of the freezer as soon as my chocolate is melted. Then I let the chocolate get warm to the touch before I start dipping. Lots less cracking.

flosspkm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flosspkm Posted 10 May 2014 , 2:03am
post #10 of 10

I have made dozens and dozens of cake pops over the past 2 years.  I too have struggled with the cracking of the coating constantly.  First of all.... I don't actually "dip" my pops.  I melt the candy melts in a MW safe bowl following the instructions carefully (30 seconds on 50% power until melted).  After my candy melts have all melted..... I spoon the coating over the cake pop as I hold it horizontally over the bowl..... the excess drips off and I use the spoon to smooth it and swirl the top.  I put them upright on a Styrofoam base to allow them to dry.  If they do crack..... I use a small baby spoon with some of the melted coating to seal the crack and smooth it up.  It works well for me and does not thicken the coating as it would if you dipped it twice or coated it twice.  MOST IMPORTANT..... I have always followed the instructions to freeze the balls for 15 minutes and then refrigerate and take out 3 or 4 as you work with them.  My first batch today.... I did that again... and sure enough.... probably 20 out of 25 had to be "touched up" where they had cracked.  The second batch I did.... I tried just refrigerating them for 15 minutes before starting to work with the balls.....I would take out 5 or 6 at a time going through the whole batch.  As I type this.... after about 45 minutes of finishing coating all of the balls.... I have NO cracks at all!!!!    I will never put them in the freezer again!!  Couldn't wait to share this!!  :>)))))

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%