How Do I Flavor Indydebi Buttercream?

Baking By PenP Updated 31 Oct 2010 , 2:05pm by PenP

PenP Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PenP Posted 31 Oct 2010 , 11:05am
post #1 of 5

I'm very new to cake decorating. I'm making a cake for work on Tuesday and I want to make a lemon filling for it. However, I don't have a large fridge so I can't use the cream cheese recipe I found. icon_cry.gif I thought about flavoring my buttercream (I use Indydebi's recipe) just for the filling layer, not the whole cake (because not everyone is a lemon fan) but I'm not sure what to use or how much, etc. Can someone please tell me how to flavor Indydebi's buttercream to taste like lemon and still be edible! Thanks so much!

4 replies
LaurenLuLu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaurenLuLu Posted 31 Oct 2010 , 12:28pm
post #2 of 5

I'm not a fan of lemon extract, so.. When making your batch of frosting, before adding any liquid (milk/water/etc), remove most of the frosting, leaving only 1.5 cups or however much you think you'll need for your filling. In the filling part, add some (tablespoon?) lemon zest and a small amount (think teaspoon or less) of freshly squeezed lemon juice while the frosting is mixing until you get the right consistency. The amount of liquid can't really be measured because it's hard to know how much filling frosting you'll need.

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 31 Oct 2010 , 12:44pm
post #3 of 5

Buy some jarred lemon curd (or make some if you like) and mix it with some of the buttercream about 1 part curd to 3 parts buttercream is what I do. This gives you a nice tart, but sweet, lemon mouse-like filling.

Alfiesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alfiesmom Posted 31 Oct 2010 , 12:52pm
post #4 of 5

I just made a lemon cream filling that was delicious! I think I got it from here.
1 8-oz cream cheese, 1 1/2 cups whipping cream, 1 small pkg instant lemon pudding, 1 tsp lemon extract (or as I did instead : zest & juice of 1 lemon), 1/2 cup sugar. Cream sugar and cream cheese. Add pudding & extract. Slowly add whipping cream. Refrigerate

PenP Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PenP Posted 31 Oct 2010 , 2:05pm
post #5 of 5

Thank you for the suggestions...Alfiesmom - that is the recipe I was planning to use, but it needs refrigeration and I don't have room in my fridge here at home or at work to refrigerate a large cake. I'm looking for unrefrigerated options. I can't wait to use this recipe in something else later. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%