Not Exactly A Cake Disaster, But....

Decorating By ThePurpleButterfly Updated 1 Nov 2010 , 6:08pm by UpAt2am

ThePurpleButterfly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThePurpleButterfly Posted 31 Oct 2010 , 2:13am
post #1 of 10

I made my first cake with a non-fondant covering today. I used the Crusting Buttercream recipe here on CC. I let it sit in the fridge overnight and went to smooth it out today, but it wasn't smoothing over right. I don't understand what I did wrong. I did the Viva method and followed it to a T. I don't want to use a crusting buttercream that doesn't include butter because I'd like my cakes to taste good. Any ideas? TIA!

9 replies
ThePurpleButterfly Posted 31 Oct 2010 , 2:18am
post #2 of 10

This wasn't my first cake.... just my first with all buttercream.

mpetty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mpetty Posted 31 Oct 2010 , 2:38am
post #3 of 10

When smoothing bc, you only want to wait 15 minutes or so for the frosting to initially crust before using the towel or hot knife method. Any longer than that, and the frosting crusts so completely that it will only crack if you try to apply any pressure to it.

FYI, you can definitely use butter in a crusting bc that you want to smooth.

HTH. icon_smile.gif

MissLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissLisa Posted 31 Oct 2010 , 2:39am
post #4 of 10

I don't think I would have put it in the fridge and then waited until the next morning. When I want my buttercream to crust I usually turn on the ceiling fan for a bit and then use the Viva method.

Just for the record, my buttercream doesn't use butter, it's got hi-ratio shortening.

mom2twogrlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2twogrlz Posted 31 Oct 2010 , 3:03am
post #5 of 10

Yep, you waited too long. Now you know for next time. icon_smile.gif

UpAt2am Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UpAt2am Posted 31 Oct 2010 , 3:14am
post #6 of 10

you don't put crusting BC in the fridge to crust. the fat to PS ratio and air are what causes BC to crust. i use a crusting BC that has butter in it. ice the cake as smooth as you can and let it sit out at room temp. go to it in 20 min. or so and see if it's crusted already. if it has, viva it. if it hasn't yet, give it more time...it will crust.

putting it in the fridge will only harden the BC, which some people mistake for crusting. a hot knife in this case may smooth out the BC, but this isn't the crusting you're looking for!

HTH

ThePurpleButterfly Posted 31 Oct 2010 , 3:19am
post #7 of 10

AAhhhhh!!! Good to know! I didn't have time to do it, which is why I put it away. I'll plan my timing better next time. Thanks for the advice! icon_biggrin.gif

Bubbl3h3ad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bubbl3h3ad Posted 31 Oct 2010 , 3:21am
post #8 of 10

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/2075/crusting-buttercream-icing-viva-method

This is the crusting buttercream I use and it has more shortening than butter but it tastes great. My friend was eating it out of the bowl and I had to stop her to make sure I had enought to finish the cake!!

ThePurpleButterfly Posted 31 Oct 2010 , 3:29am
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbl3h3ad

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/2075/crusting-buttercream-icing-viva-method

This is the crusting buttercream I use and it has more shortening than butter but it tastes great. My friend was eating it out of the bowl and I had to stop her to make sure I had enought to finish the cake!!

That's the one I used.

UpAt2am Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UpAt2am Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 6:08pm
post #10 of 10

yep! you live and learn that timing is EVERYTHING!!!!!! here's what you can do if you're running out of time. you can stack, fill and crumbcoat the cake. THEN you can stick it in the fridge...i prefer 15 minutes, but life sometimes gets in the way and it has to sit overnight just crumbcoated. when you have the time to devote back to it, ice it and leave it out to crust. it may take a bit longer, depending on how cold the cake is (a few hours vs. overnight), but it will eventually crust icon_smile.gif HTH!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%