How Do I Make Leopard Print?

Decorating By Nikki79 Updated 5 Nov 2010 , 2:39am by Nikki79

Nikki79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nikki79 Posted 31 Oct 2010 , 2:10am
post #1 of 9

Can someone please tell me how to make a leopard print cake. I tried and it ended up looking like polka dots.

8 replies
kimbordeaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimbordeaux Posted 31 Oct 2010 , 2:23am
post #2 of 9

I take small piece of black fondant roll it slightly and then add a smaller peice of tannish color fondant to the middle of the black and roll it out to an oddly shaped circle. I don't know if my instructions came across good enough. Here is a pic of one of my first leopard cakes.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1472446.html

~Kim

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 31 Oct 2010 , 12:03pm
post #3 of 9
MissBlu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissBlu Posted 31 Oct 2010 , 12:40pm
post #4 of 9

I have my first purse that was leopard it's in my pics(first time leopard too). I freehand painted it, used vodka with black. then I used wilton gold dust. People have suggested stencils but I really don't know how that would work and I hope someone goes in depth.

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 4:14am
post #5 of 9

will your cake be buttercream or fondant. one of my cake pictures has extra pictures that shows how i did the leopard print in stages in buttercream.

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 12:30pm
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcakes

will your cake be buttercream or fondant. one of my cake pictures has extra pictures that shows how i did the leopard print in stages in buttercream.

That's one of the nicest leopard prints I've seen - Great Job thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 2:25pm
post #7 of 9

many thanks!! karen.

the key to making it look real is looking at a real leopard picture. in areas the spots are close together and small and then they get larger but abit further apart, also the colouring is richer down the spine where the spots are close and then its whiter towards the belly area. if you dont have an airbrush colour the buttercream a rich ivory/gold and leave some of it white and blend the 2, then pipe the spots on top and flatten.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 2:32pm
post #8 of 9

I just can't help myself! Everytime I read your subject I think of this--I mean I already deleted it once-----

I think you've already gotten some great advice so-- How do you make a leopard print? Hand him a notebook & pencil.

bwooowhahahahaha it's ok--just shoot me. icon_lol.gif

Nikki79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nikki79 Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 2:39am
post #9 of 9

Thank you all for all of your advise.

Dear Sweetcakes, my cake will be buttercream. Most of my cakes are buttercream and then I usually decorate with fondant so I can whichever will work best.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%