Anyone Know Why Did My Cake Did This?

Decorating By mpetty Updated 31 Oct 2010 , 5:06am by cathyscakes

mpetty Posted 31 Oct 2010 , 1:01am
post #1 of 3

I've had only 2 cakes come out with an indention around the side, and can't figure out what's going on. They were different recipes, one baked with bake-even strips, one without. I greased and floured the pans, using parchment rounds in the bottom, and baked both cakes at 350 degrees.

I couldn't get the picture to attach, but it's in my photos. Thanks in advance for any thoughts or advice.

2 replies
JanH Posted 31 Oct 2010 , 4:50am
post #2 of 3

Cooling your cakes on their tops (rounded/peaked side) can cause them to crack, so I would recommend that you immediately turn them again before allowing them to cool. icon_smile.gif

I've never had that happen, but it could be that you need to really make sure that you don't have any trapped air spaces. I accomplish this by thumping the filled cake pans several times on the counter before putting them in the oven.

cathyscakes Posted 31 Oct 2010 , 5:06am
post #3 of 3

I have had that happen before too. I take such pride into getting my sides even, and I hate when I have to trim to achieve the look I want. So i'm curious to see why it happens too. Just happens sometimes, its a strange thing. And Jan, I'll definitely try rapping the pan, hopefully that is the problem.

Quote by @%username% on %date%