How Many Cupcakes Out Of A Cake Batch Mix?

Baking By Sweet_Toof Updated 1 Nov 2010 , 1:35am by Sweet_Toof

Sweet_Toof Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Toof Posted 31 Oct 2010 , 12:54am
post #1 of 13

I have a great chocolate cake recipe that actually tells me the weight of each ingredient to add to the size of each cake, from square to round, from 6" right up to 12" in size

So I want to use that recipe for cupcakes
But how many cupcakes can I get out of - say for example, a 9" mix?

12 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 31 Oct 2010 , 1:10am
post #2 of 13

depends on the size of cupcakes.

In general, a cake mix (i.e. makes two 8" rounds or two 9" rounds, according to the box) will make 24 regular size cupcakes.

I just made mini cupcakes for the grandkids tonight and got 72 mini's out of one cake mix (with a bit of batter leftover that I just pitched.)

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 31 Oct 2010 , 1:12am
post #3 of 13

Yep to what Indydeb said. It depends on how much batter you put in each cup. When in Doubt, make a double batch and freeze the rest you don't need right away.

Sweet_Toof Posted 31 Oct 2010 , 10:37am
post #4 of 13

It's actually not from a packet. It's a written recipe that gives me variations of the weights according to square/round and from 6" right up to 12"

Also curious for quoting purposes so I know how much money I'm actually making...

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 31 Oct 2010 , 11:17am
post #5 of 13

If you are baking in the muffin sized papers (38mm in height), use a standard sized ice-cream scoop with swiper blade and you will get 24.

Sweet_Toof Posted 31 Oct 2010 , 12:24pm
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRowesHunny

If you are baking in the muffin sized papers (38mm in height), use a standard sized ice-cream scoop with swiper blade and you will get 24.

Sorry to sound so anal but would it be 24 or only 12 since Indydeb said she could get 24 from a x2 9" mix?

cakeythings1961 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeythings1961 Posted 31 Oct 2010 , 12:33pm
post #7 of 13

Using a standard mix and a standard sized muffin tin (filled about 1/2 full) you'll get 24.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 31 Oct 2010 , 9:27pm
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet_Toof

It's actually not from a packet. It's a written recipe that gives me variations of the weights according to square/round and from 6" right up to 12"

Also curious for quoting purposes so I know how much money I'm actually making...

that should be easy to computer. Whatever size of batch you make that will fill two 8" rounds is what I call "one batch" (equal to one cake mix). If it fills two 8" rounds, then it should make about 24 standard sized cupcakes. thumbs_up.gif

cakeythings1961 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeythings1961 Posted 31 Oct 2010 , 10:21pm
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet_Toof

Oh, I totally missed that this was a scratch cake...I'm sorry! My whole weekend has been like this...can you believe I put the milk away in the pantry??!! icon_lol.gif

Anyway, what Indydebi said! Good luck. icon_smile.gif

LindaF144a Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 1:15am
post #10 of 13

Even with the type of recipe you have where you can get the batter by weight, it will still depend on how much batter you use.

I weigh my cupcakes when i make them. Depending on the recipe i use any where to 50 grams to 65 grams. It is not a constant for some reason. So if you do the math and divide the batter by the number of cupcakes you desite, you will find out how much batter you will have for each cupcake. The Cake Bible recommends 45 grams per cupcake which i found was not enough.

I agree it is important to know how many cupcakes you can get out a certain amount of batter. That is why i spents weeks making cupcakes in various weights til i achieved the size cupcake i wanted. I still highly recommend making some batter and doing a test run. If you make 12 ounces of batter and then start with 1 ounce per cupcake and go from ther, then you will know with your recipe how much you need and what looks like a good size cupcake.

And it will be easier to use grams than ounce, at least in my opinion.

LindaF144a Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 1:16am
post #11 of 13

Even with the type of recipe you have where you can get the batter by weight, it will still depend on how much batter you use.

I weigh my cupcakes when i make them. Depending on the recipe i use any where to 50 grams to 65 grams. It is not a constant for some reason. So if you do the math and divide the batter by the number of cupcakes you desite, you will find out how much batter you will have for each cupcake. The Cake Bible recommends 45 grams per cupcake which i found was not enough.

I agree it is important to know how many cupcakes you can get out a certain amount of batter. That is why i spents weeks making cupcakes in various weights til i achieved the size cupcake i wanted. I still highly recommend making some batter and doing a test run. If you make 12 ounces of batter and then start with 1 ounce per cupcake and go from ther, then you will know with your recipe how much you need and what looks like a good size cupcake.

LindaF144a Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 1:25am
post #12 of 13

Sweet_Toof Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 1:35am
post #13 of 13

I think I will do a practice run first.

Now I have to try work out how much mix I need for 150 cupcakes!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%