Isomalt Ice

Sugar Work By cmccann43 Updated 23 Nov 2012 , 6:38am by andrealynmoore

cmccann43 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cmccann43 Posted 31 Oct 2010 , 12:31am
post #1 of 12

I am pretty new to cake decorating and have never worked with isomalt. I have a request for a beer bucket cake and it has "ice" on top. I assumed this is made with isomalt. Can anyone tell me how to make "ice" using isomalt or is there another way???? Thanks to anyone who can help me!

11 replies
Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 31 Oct 2010 , 12:55am
post #2 of 12

I've heard you can pour isomalt over a pile of real ice and let it get hard...?

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 31 Oct 2010 , 1:13am
post #3 of 12

I actually used ice cube trays and they came out perfect. Just make sure you dont over cook the sugar or it will turn yellow. You can also pour it over real ice to get partially melted ice look.

cmccann43 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cmccann43 Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 11:46pm
post #4 of 12

What kind of ice cube trays? Are they metal? Wont plastic trays melt with the heat of the sugar?

paintedlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paintedlady Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 11:57pm
post #5 of 12

I use the plastice ice cube trays and it works just fine.

mommynana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommynana Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 12:12am
post #6 of 12

i have used the isomalt twice and i can`t seam to get all the sugar to melt there is allways some of those little white balls in there. what am i doing wrong??

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 12:21am
post #7 of 12

I used plastic as well and it was fine. You just want to make sure their cold so that it doesnt melt them if their thin.
When your melting the isomalt you need to stir it and combine all the crystals before it comes to a boil. Once it does, then do not stir it.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 12:25am
post #8 of 12

If you're letting it boil as long as you're supposed to, its impossible to have anything left...it boils for quite awhile before its ready to use.

luckylibra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luckylibra Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 12:27am
post #9 of 12

I crumpled up non stick foil and then poured it over. the pictures are in my pics. It turned out really well I thought. I also poured some down a glass to get some pieces to put on the side of the bottles for a condensation look.

mommynana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommynana Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 12:38am
post #10 of 12

u no kitagrl, i was afraid to cuz the first time i must of boiled it to long and it turned yellow i should try again do u guys use the stove or the microwave???

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 4:29am
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommynana

u no kitagrl, i was afraid to cuz the first time i must of boiled it to long and it turned yellow i should try again do u guys use the stove or the microwave???

Stove - follow the directions carefully...

andrealynmoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andrealynmoore Posted 23 Nov 2012 , 6:38am
post #12 of 12

In my experience, if you use distilled water, the "ice" stays crystal clear with no yellowing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%