Icing A Dummy Cake

Decorating By Echooo3 Updated 31 Oct 2010 , 1:03am by indydebi

Echooo3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Echooo3 Posted 30 Oct 2010 , 11:39pm
post #1 of 6

I want to make a dummy wedding cake. I have all my styrofoam. My questioin is about the buttercream. What recipe should I use? Clearly I don't want to use flavorings.

Should I use my high ratio shortening or crisco? Will it dry hard? I really don't want to do fondant.

5 replies
Echooo3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Echooo3 Posted 30 Oct 2010 , 11:55pm
post #2 of 6

Maybe it shouldn't be buttercream at all. Maybe it should be done in royal icing.

Anyone?

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 31 Oct 2010 , 12:17am
post #3 of 6

I did a dummy cake in royal icing...but you have to work fast because it dries quickly. Its the pale green four tiered with divider rounds in my photos, from several months ago.

I think they sell some sort of "perma-ice" in craft stores too...never used it, but its what they use to decorate display "iced" cakes.

Also be sure to secure your dummy to something before icing, it makes it so much easier to handle.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 31 Oct 2010 , 12:26am
post #4 of 6

I used my regular BC on all of my dummies. Omitted the dream whip and the vanilla. The icing dries concrete hard, which is great! Why people use royal icing is beyond me, when BC works fabulous and is very easy to work with. People luv'd it when I'd tell them in the shop or at a bridal show, "Sure! YOu can touch them! Go ahead!" they lasted for years. And no, they did not attract any bugs or vermin. Ever.
When I was ready to change the design, I just ran my spatual under the icing and it popped right off.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 31 Oct 2010 , 12:54am
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I used my regular BC on all of my dummies. Omitted the dream whip and the vanilla. The icing dries concrete hard, which is great! Why people use royal icing is beyond me, when BC works fabulous and is very easy to work with. People luv'd it when I'd tell them in the shop or at a bridal show, "Sure! YOu can touch them! Go ahead!" they lasted for years. And no, they did not attract any bugs or vermin. Ever.
When I was ready to change the design, I just ran my spatual under the icing and it popped right off.

Because we're not as smart as Indy. haha.

Really I did not know that bc (shortening with sugar) would hold up as well as royal....

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 31 Oct 2010 , 1:03am
post #6 of 6

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif with Kita!!

I'm not that smart. I just never knew that buttercream "WOULDN'T work" so I used it.

I've heard that phrase used a lot, such as the guy who started Fed Ex was "too dumb to know" that his idea wouldn't work! icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%