Mixed Reaction

Decorating By Tacy09 Updated 31 Oct 2010 , 4:26pm by Tacy09

Tacy09 Posted 30 Oct 2010 , 8:12pm
post #1 of 13

Ok so I just had a lady come pick up a cake for her daughter. When she ordered the cake she told me she wanted an art theme and I could do whatever I wanted, so I decided to do a tube of paint. It wasnt my absolute favorite cake but it wasnt a bad cake by any means. So she comes to pick it up and seems stumped for a minute. She then says "OH its a tube of paint!" and begins to act a little bit excited, but at the same time doesnt say to much. It just makes my stomach turn when this happens, of course I want everyone to love their cakes (and I know that doesnt always happen), but I just feel like a total failure after that and before she came I didnt think it was bad. Sorry just had to vent and see if this happens to anyone else?

12 replies
Kitagrl Posted 30 Oct 2010 , 8:19pm
post #2 of 13

Awww I'm sorry....

When customers are that open-ended I try to narrow it down with questions. "Do you want tiered, or sculpted?" "What kind of art do you like...like art supplies, or a painting?" "What colors are you decorating with?" "What is the recipients favorite type of art?" etc...

Sometimes a customer will give me free reign but I try to narrow it down somewhat so that the customer knows generally what they are getting, but of course I'll put the details together when I'm making it.

Kiddiekakes Posted 30 Oct 2010 , 11:05pm
post #3 of 13

Yes...It can be very deflating when you don't get the reaction from the customer you were hoping for...I'm sure she liked it..Some poeple have a very odd way of showing excitement and appreciation!!

Kitagrl Posted 30 Oct 2010 , 11:07pm
post #4 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddiekakes

Yes...It can be very deflating when you don't get the reaction from the customer you were hoping for...I'm sure she liked it..Some poeple have a very odd way of showing excitement and appreciation!!

I've had a few customers come pick up a very nice cake and they just take it with a "Thanks, looks fine" and drive off. Okay whatever. icon_smile.gif Transaction over! haha.

Kiddiekakes Posted 30 Oct 2010 , 11:13pm
post #5 of 13

Me too Kitagrl.....weirdos...HA!HA!

tarheelgirl Posted 30 Oct 2010 , 11:35pm
post #6 of 13

I think we just get spoiled by our over excited customers. icon_biggrin.gif Then along comes one that is not super excited and it plays tricks on our mind!

Kitagrl Posted 30 Oct 2010 , 11:47pm
post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelgirl

I think we just get spoiled by our over excited customers. icon_biggrin.gif Then along comes one that is not super excited and it plays tricks on our mind!

I know!!! I love the ones that just paid you $400 for a cake but they hug you like they won the lottery. haha.

adventuregal Posted 31 Oct 2010 , 2:51am
post #8 of 13

I would hope customers are smart enough to realize that when they leave it open ended they might not get the result they had in mind. In saying that, don't fret icon_smile.gif I'm sure she liked it-even if it wasn't quite what was expected.

DSmo Posted 31 Oct 2010 , 1:29pm
post #9 of 13

I've done a few cakes for friends who give a vague theme, then let me have at it. But I always show them a sketch once I decide what I'm doing.

cabecakes Posted 31 Oct 2010 , 1:54pm
post #10 of 13

I think its always disappointing when you are really pleased with a cake and then get no reaction. I had a friend do this one time when I made a cake for her daughter, and I point blank asked her, "What's wrong, don't you like it? I can't tell whether your pleased with it or not" She says, " Oh yeah, it's beautiful, but I hate cake. I just get it for her and her friends, but it is fantastic." So if the customer isn't into cake, that could be why your not getting that WOW reaction. Or it could just be she's one of those people who doesn't show her excitement outwardly. I don't think anyone can get as excited over cake as a caker.

jillyscakes Posted 31 Oct 2010 , 2:27pm
post #11 of 13

I hate people that are vague. I have got to do cup cakes for a 16th birthday have tried to pin her down on colours, theme etc to no avail. Last year she was specific wanted pink guitar no problem she was happy so was I get the feeling that is not going to be the so this year.

vickylara2004 Posted 31 Oct 2010 , 2:33pm
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddiekakes

I agree with you Kiddiekakes! I had a customer very recently order a cake from me with literally a day and a half notice and requested a sculpted monkey cake but when I told her that I needed more notice to be able to plan for a sculpted cake that I had never done before, I gave her the option of the Wilton Monkey Pan cake and I added some balloon and party hat details to it. When she came to pick it up she had not one bit of excitement on her face but she thanked me for putting it together on such short notice. I thought for sure she hated it. A few weeks later her brother in law called me to order a topsy turvy cake for his daughter's birthday because of how much everyone LOVED the monkey cake. Just goes to show that sometimes people really are just different when it comes to expressing emotion. At least in the future your customer will know to be a little more specific when ordering something for a special occassion. Hopefully she and the party guests loved the taste of your cake and will come back for more.

Keep your chin up! There will always be more customers that will love your work! thumbs_up.gif

Tacy09 Posted 31 Oct 2010 , 4:26pm
post #13 of 13

True, I think maybe I have gotten a little spoiled with happy reactions, so the calmers ones bring me down a little, but I got a text from the daughter (who the cake was for) and said she loved it! So I guess thats really what matters!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%