Gum Paste Help Please

Decorating By CrescentMoon Updated 2 Nov 2010 , 7:21pm by pinkjacs

CrescentMoon Posted 30 Oct 2010 , 5:37pm
post #1 of 10

I have never used gum paste, only fondant, to make roses and such and am unsure how "sticky" the gum paste should be. I bought the Wilton ready to mix powder and followed the directions on the can. It has been resting for 2 days and it is quite sticky. Should it be the same consistancy as fondant? If so, should I use powdered sugar or cornstarch to lessen the stickiness? All help would be appreciated.

9 replies
mommakabob Posted 30 Oct 2010 , 6:32pm
post #2 of 10

I've never made my own, just used the ready to use kind. It can be pretty sticky, so what I do is just add some shortening to it. I don't know if that's the right thing to do but it helped me. I just did it last night and my decorations came out great. HTH

pinkjacs Posted 30 Oct 2010 , 7:47pm
post #3 of 10

I have used both the mix and ready mixed far prefer the ready made stuff its not sticky at all and great to work with!

mygirlssweet Posted 31 Oct 2010 , 1:18am
post #4 of 10

I only make my own gumpaste. Mine is not very sticky. If it is, you will need to work in more icing sugar and shortening. Gumpaste is impossible to work with if it too sticky.

pinkjacs Posted 31 Oct 2010 , 4:07pm
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mygirlssweet

I only make my own gumpaste. Mine is not very sticky. If it is, you will need to work in more icing sugar and shortening. Gumpaste is impossible to work with if it too sticky.

Any chance of a copy of your recipe please???

mygirlssweet Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 12:33am
post #6 of 10

I'm sorry. The lady who gave me the recipe and taught me everything I know has asked that I not share the recipe.

cdgleason Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 12:59am
post #7 of 10

You can find a great recipe for Nicholas Lodge's gumpaste recipe by doing a simple internet search. I'm not sure if the recipe is listed here on CC...
I have several friends who 'specialize' in gumpaste flowers, and they only use his recipe. It's also my favorite gumpaste, and I've tried a couple different brands of the powders that all you do is add water, and the ready to use stuff by satin ice, wilton, and a couple others!
When I make gumpaste (Nic Lodge recipe) I always pinch off a tiny piece, about the size of my fingernail, before I wrap it up, just to check that it's setting properly... usually, within about an hour it starts to set up, like it should!
Ron Ben Israel has a tutorial on the Satin ice web page where is shows his preferred method for making his gumpaste flowers... simply add tylose to Satin Ice fondant, I think he adds one teaspoon of tylose to one pound of fondant, not sure though, you may want to check out the Satin Ice web sight!

UpAt2am Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 1:17am
post #8 of 10

if i were you, i'd buy the premade gumpaste just so you can see the consistency that it should be. it should be a tiny bit sticky and once you roll it out and the air hits it, it will take away the sicky. from that point, if you want to try some new recipes, then go for it! at least you'll know what it should feel like, ya know? HTH!

costumeczar Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 2:43am
post #9 of 10

I like the Nicholas Lodge recipe too, or you can just add some tylose to fondant. Both recipes are on my facebook page under the discussion tab www.facebook.com/acaketoremember

pinkjacs Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 7:21pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdgleason

You can find a great recipe for Nicholas Lodge's gumpaste recipe by doing a simple internet search. I'm not sure if the recipe is listed here on CC...
I have several friends who 'specialize' in gumpaste flowers, and they only use his recipe. It's also my favorite gumpaste, and I've tried a couple different brands of the powders that all you do is add water, and the ready to use stuff by , wilton, and a couple others!
When I make gumpaste (Nic Lodge recipe) I always pinch off a tiny piece, about the size of my fingernail, before I wrap it up, just to check that it's setting properly... usually, within about an hour it starts to set up, like it should!
Ron Ben Israel has a tutorial on the web page where is shows his preferred method for making his gumpaste flowers... simply add tylose to fondant, I think he adds one teaspoon of tylose to one pound of fondant, not sure though, you may want to check out the web sight!

thank you very much icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%