4" High Tier? Really?

Decorating By tsal Updated 2 Nov 2010 , 3:56am by durell87

tsal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tsal Posted 30 Oct 2010 , 3:01pm
post #1 of 34

Hi,

omg - now I feel like crying. I just put my tiers together and measured with a ruler and they are indeed 4" high - but I find they look ridiculously tall.

Now I'm redesigning my cake because to do 3 tiers at 4" tall will look funny, I think.

On top of that, I've had a few cancellations, so now the count is 13 kids and 15 adults. Do you think that I'll have enough cake with an 8" round and a 6" round?

I am beyond stressed.

33 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 30 Oct 2010 , 3:10pm
post #2 of 34

Yes you will have plenty of cake--my cakes are very very tall--even 5 inches--no worries.

Try & let go of your mental expectation--just slap a cake out there--the best you can do with the time & expertise you have and let the rest go.

(((big hug))))

tsal Posted 30 Oct 2010 , 3:14pm
post #3 of 34

Thanks K8memphis. I'm taking deep breaths.

I will post pics when this ordeal is over.

crazyladybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazyladybaker Posted 30 Oct 2010 , 3:17pm
post #4 of 34

I have not done a cake over 4" but I have seen many of them on CC and I really like the look of them.
go for it! thumbs_up.gif

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 30 Oct 2010 , 3:24pm
post #5 of 34

Oh I love 4" tall tiers...if mine are not at least 4" tall I feel that I've skimped out.

dynee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dynee Posted 30 Oct 2010 , 3:32pm
post #6 of 34

What you will find is that on a 4" or more tier height, you can get by with smaller serving sizes. I made a 9" by at least 5" tall Cheesecake factory style red velvet cheese cake for a family gathering and I know we served at least 30 people and had some left over. You will have more than enough cake.

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 30 Oct 2010 , 3:37pm
post #7 of 34

Not to add to your stress, but I am confused as to why you think 4" tiers are too tall. That is the standard size of my cakes and pretty much a lot of cakes, I would think.

-K8memphis Posted 30 Oct 2010 , 3:45pm
post #8 of 34

I mean an 8" cake four inches tall can look a little extreme if you're not used to it.

But I mean Margaret Braun makes two inch cakes four inches tall*.

And I like to make my bottom tier taller than the other tiers for eye appeal. Because if they are all the same height the bottom tier looks short to me.

It's alll good.

*page 124 of her pretty gold edged red book

tsal Posted 30 Oct 2010 , 4:16pm
post #9 of 34

Cakesbycathy: I guess I have never made such tall tiers before. I know that some of my tiers on previous cakes were too shallow, which is why I aimed for 4".

I agree that if the bottom tier isn't taller it can look shallow.

I'll post pics later. They are iced and ready for fondant but my kids are melting down with dh so I have to stop for a bit.

On another note I tried some of the cake scraps and filling/icing combo and it rocks! Thank God for that!

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 30 Oct 2010 , 4:18pm
post #10 of 34

My tiers end up being about 5 inches tall once all the icing is on..I don't think they look odd...They would look squatty if they were anything under 4 inches..

-K8memphis Posted 30 Oct 2010 , 4:19pm
post #11 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsal

... They are iced and ready for fondant but my kids are melting down with dh so I have to stop for a bit.

On another note I tried some of the cake scraps and filling/icing combo and it rocks! Thank God for that!

Sweet success!!! Go, Tsal! Go, Tsal! Go, Tsal!!!!

tsal Posted 30 Oct 2010 , 6:57pm
post #12 of 34

Ok, so I successfully covered the 2 tiers with fondant and now I think they look pretty good. I used satin ice buttercream flavor for the first time. It rolled out beautifully.

This cake is creating a roller coaster of emotions! I'm leaving the rest of the decorating until the kids go to bed because dh will have a fit if he has all 3 kids to watch for much longer.

-K8memphis Posted 30 Oct 2010 , 7:05pm
post #13 of 34

Not that you need any more stress but shame on him!
He should help out with the kids if you're busy like this.
This is crucial time here.
I mean there could be extenuating circumstances but him having a fit about it ain't one of 'em!

tsal Posted 30 Oct 2010 , 7:13pm
post #14 of 34

We have 3 kids under the age of 6 (all boys) so they're a handful. Dh is fed up with my cakes because I end up spending an entire day on the weekend caking while he takes care of the kids. I would have been better organized, but I was sick this past week. He's really good with the kids but they are a handful.

I have a cake next weekend, but I won't be decorating while the kids are awake. It's also a much simpler design than this Blues Clues cake!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 31 Oct 2010 , 12:18am
post #15 of 34

Even if you've only ever bought a 2-layer cake at the grocery or bakery, those are usually in the 4" tall range, so unless you're just used to seeing sheet cakes .......?

See the link in my signature on how to cut round or square cakes for maximum servings.

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 31 Oct 2010 , 12:55am
post #16 of 34

I think until I fill my cakes with bc and frost them top they are atleast 5 inches.....and if they are taller...yummmm just means more to eat lol

tsal Posted 31 Oct 2010 , 2:21am
post #17 of 34

Now that they're all done I think they look good. I will post pics after I stack in the morning.

I think I was just in anxiety overdrive as there were lots of problems getting to the finish line with this cake.

madgeowens Posted 31 Oct 2010 , 3:58am
post #18 of 34

tsal, I don't know how anyone can do this with little kids, I know I could not....so my hats is off to you kiddo....I am sure it will be great...don't sweat the small stuff.

Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 31 Oct 2010 , 5:07am
post #19 of 34

The taller the better! - I find short tiers somewhat underwhelming.

jenscreativity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenscreativity Posted 31 Oct 2010 , 5:27am
post #20 of 34

You go girl!! It will work out!

tsal Posted 31 Oct 2010 , 7:46pm
post #21 of 34

Here's the finished product. I *totally* stand corrected as I think this is my most professional-looking cake in terms of tier height!

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1852903

-K8memphis Posted 31 Oct 2010 , 9:52pm
post #22 of 34

You *totally* ROCKED it!
<insert clapping hands smilie face>

jenscreativity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenscreativity Posted 31 Oct 2010 , 10:18pm
post #23 of 34

Nice job!

Crazboutcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazboutcakes Posted 31 Oct 2010 , 10:46pm
post #24 of 34

you did a great job and I love the height of the tiers icon_smile.gif

madgeowens Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 3:58am
post #25 of 34

This cake is Perfect!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Great job.....

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 4:16am
post #26 of 34

Great looking cake! Your appliques may have taken "forever", as you put it, but the result was well worth the time and attn to the details! As someone else said, You Rocked This!

durell87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
durell87 Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 4:37am
post #27 of 34

Ya I think my tiers tend to be a little over 5 in since I do three layers of filling. But ur cake is awesome how did u do the appliques if u don't mind sharing?

ramacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ramacake Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 6:31am
post #28 of 34

I agree with everyone else, the cake looked terrific!!! Great job!!! You should be very proud.

All of my cakes are always taller than 4", usually anywhere between 5" and 6". Anything shorter than 4" just looks short.

And hubby needs to chill and help take care of the kids for as long as necessary. Keep up the great work!!

Luffie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Luffie Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 7:09am
post #29 of 34

Well done! my youngest is such a huge Blues Clues fan I may have to steal some of your ideas on this cake!

Tell your hubby when you become famous you promise you will give him the kudos when Oprah is interviewing you. You'll tell everyone that he was such a big help in supporting you. That his support allowed you the artistic flexibility you needed to get where you are today!!!

tsal Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 9:48am
post #30 of 34

Thanks everyone for the kind words!

Luffie: PM me if you do decide to make a cake like mine - I would love to see it!!

Durell: Here's how I did the appliques:
I found pics on the internet of the characters and resized and printed the pics to the size I wanted. Then I outlined the characters with a black marker, placed a sheet of graph paper over it, held it up to the window and traced it. Then, I had my template. Some templates had a few components that had to be cut out individually (you can see that Periwinkle the cat has 2 different colors in his ears so they had to be cut separately and then put together like a puzzle). I cut out the template pieces, rolled out my gumpaste thinly, then placed the template on top and cut around with an exacto knife. I then let the appliques dry on a piece of waxed paper that was taped to the side of a round pan to give them some curve. You can PM me if you need any advice about it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%