Artfully Arranging Fresh Flowers On Cake?

Decorating By kger Updated 30 Oct 2010 , 3:17pm by kger

kger Posted 30 Oct 2010 , 2:22pm
post #1 of 3

I know how to place the stems in straws or coffee stirrers or flower spikes or wrap with floral tape or plastic. My question is about how to artfully arrange flowers on a cake. I've never done it before and I have a completely blank surface (2 tiers) and 2 dozen organic red roses. (12 regular and 12 mini).

I'm sure there must be some kind of aesthetic rules, like place in groups of 3 or whatever. Are there any tips or guidelines for doing this? Is casacading difficult? I also have to do something to the top of the cake with the roses, but most of the photos in the gallery look like they have a actual topper with styrofoam or something. I have some styro on hand, so should I make something with that and place that on top, or should I just stick some straws in the top and place the flowers in there?

2 replies
xinue Posted 30 Oct 2010 , 3:08pm
post #2 of 3

hi!
what i usually do for the topper is make a ball of fondant and use it as styrofoam. you can stick the flowers in in without worring about the stems because they will not be touching the actual cake.
as for cascading, it is not difficult, but it it tedious. I also make a sausage like pice of fondant stick it to the side of the cake with ri and some wooden sticks and then cover it with the flowers. Again, the will not touch the cake so no stem problems. Also the moisture and sugar content of the fondant will keep the flowers long enogh.
The only problem with the cascading look is that you will need a lot of flowers.
I start the arrangements with the biggest flowers, then fill the empty spaces with the smaller flowers.
Hope it helps!

kger Posted 30 Oct 2010 , 3:17pm
post #3 of 3

Thank you, xinue. I will have about 30 minutes to assemble this, so I guess a cascade is beyond my reach for today. Good idea about using the fondant for a topper.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%