Never Decorate Someone Else's Cake!

Decorating By Price Updated 30 Oct 2010 , 2:20pm by Price

Price Posted 30 Oct 2010 , 1:31am
post #1 of 7

Lesson learned.

This past weekend my niece got married in Va. It was a good 2 1/2 hr ride for us so we stayed Fri. and Sat. night. My niece knew I would be totally stressed to make her cake, transport it, and keep it overnight, but still wanted to involve me in the wedding. She asked if I would make fondant bows and leaves to be placed on the cakes. Instead of a stacked cake she told me she was having 5 - 8" round layer cakes. The cakes were to be made from one of her mother's recipes and were being made by the chef at the venue. It was a zuchinni cake recipe and the cakes were to be iced in a cream cheese icing. The wedding was at 4 and I was told the cakes would be placed on the tables by 3.

No Problem right? WRONG! I got to the room where the reception was to be held a little before 3pm and no cake. I told the lady who seemed to be in charge I was there to place the decorations on the cakes. She said she would check and be right back. When she returned she was carrying 2 cakes that were only about 1 1/2" high and about 10" round, sunk in the middle and no icing. They were on large heavy round metal plates that looked like meat platters.

She saw the look on my face and asked what was wrong. I told her there were supposed to be 5 8"round layer cakes iced in cream cheese icing and I was sure what she had was not what the Bride was expecting. She took the cakes back to the kitchen and sent the Chef out. The Chef explained she only had 4 cakes because the last one didn't turn out! She then said it would be another 1/2 hour before she could have the cakes iced.

At this point I had no choice. Thirty minutes later they came out with 5 10" single layer cakes still on those ungodly ugly metal plates. Icing smeared on the cakes as well as the plates. The icing looked like my 4 year old Grandson had smeared it on the cakes. It was rough, had lots of crumbs in it and I could even see the cake in spots. I put the bows and leaves on the cakes and tried to hide as much as I could of the cakes.

My niece of course had stars in her eyes that day and thought everything was beautiful. I'm thinking once the wedding day fog wears off and she sees pictures of the cakes she won't be as happy. Evidently the 5th cake that didn't turn out was also served. I was told by several people at 1 table that their cake was not cooked in the center. Can you believe a Chef would serve something like that?

I definitely consider this a lesson learned. I will never again agree to decorate anyones cake but my own. I hate the thought of pictures of those cakes being circulated and having my name associated with them.

My niece had no clue any of this went on that day, and I don't plan to tell her. Other than the cakes it was a beautiful wedding and reception.

Thanks for listening to my long, long story.

6 replies
Kiddiekakes Posted 30 Oct 2010 , 1:42am
post #2 of 7

Oh My..That must have been terrible because your name goes on those too...I feel bad for you...If time would have allowed I would have gone to a local grocery store and bought 5 of their cakes in plain white..It would have been better than what that so called chef served.

Price Posted 30 Oct 2010 , 1:53am
post #3 of 7

KiddieKakes - you're right. UnfortunatelyI didn't have time to do much, but make the best of what I had. The Chef knew the night before that cake was not right and should have baked another. At least the cake served to my table was delicious, so I'm hoping 4 out of the 5 cakes were baked properly. It was just one of those experiences I don't want to ever have to repeat!

All in all minus the great cake blunder, it was a great family weekend and life goes on! icon_smile.gif

indydebi Posted 30 Oct 2010 , 8:05am
post #4 of 7

Are you telling us this "chef" baked the wedding cakes THE DAY OF THE WEDDING???? icon_eek.gificon_surprised.gif Because if this chef is saying the cakes can't be iced for another 30 mintues, it sounds like the cakes are in the cooling process.

I'm doing the math on this one (as I'm sure are others who work in a commercial kitchen): with a huge mixer, the whole batch of batter could have been mixed at once, so I'm going to be generous and say 30 minutes to measure and mix .... all of the cake pans could fit in a large commercial oven at the same time, so allow another 30 mintues for baking.

Am I really about to suggest that this 'chef' didn't even start the cakes until ... not just the DAY of the wedding ..... but actually starting mixing/baking these cakes at some point in the AFTERNOON before a 4:00 wedding????? icon_surprised.gif

I would tell my niece EXACTLY what happened! If she paid this chef to do these cakes, she needs to know just how it was handled!

Bluehue Posted 30 Oct 2010 , 9:52am
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Are you telling us this "chef" baked the wedding cakes THE DAY OF THE WEDDING???? icon_eek.gificon_surprised.gif Because if this chef is saying the cakes can't be iced for another 30 mintues, it sounds like the cakes are in the cooling process.

I'm doing the math on this one (as I'm sure are others who work in a commercial kitchen): with a huge mixer, the whole batch of batter could have been mixed at once, so I'm going to be generous and say 30 minutes to measure and mix .... all of the cake pans could fit in a large commercial oven at the same time, so allow another 30 mintues for baking.
Orrrrr - where they sitting on the bench thawing out? icon_rolleyes.gif
Either way - thats appalling.

Am I really about to suggest that this 'chef' didn't even start the cakes until ... not just the DAY of the wedding ..... but actually starting mixing/baking these cakes at some point in the AFTERNOON before a 4:00 wedding????? icon_surprised.gif

I would tell my niece EXACTLY what happened! If she paid this chef to do these cakes, she needs to know just how it was handled!

@ Price - what an absolute muck up for you.... icon_sad.gif
Unbelievable....*blue shakes her head*

indydebi Posted 30 Oct 2010 , 10:08am
post #6 of 7

Blue, good point on the thawing! I never thought about it. I personally wouldn't wait until a couple of hours prior to the wedding to take them out of the freezer, though, and I DEFINITELY would have rebaked "back then" and not waited. Like you said ... either way is appalling.

Price Posted 30 Oct 2010 , 2:20pm
post #7 of 7

I'm pretty sure they baked the cakes the day before, but when the 5th one didn't turn out, I don't understand why they wouldn't bake another one. I would have never served raw cake. There was no icing made to put on the cakes. She had to make the icing and then ice the cakes, so that is what was going to take her 30 min. I can't imagine anyone thinking I would be decorating cakes with fondant bows and leaves if they weren't iced! I know that in the future I will never get involved with decorating when I don't have control of the entire project! Because of the delay, I missed the ceremony and about 1/2 to 3/4 of the cocktail hour. Talk about a last minute rush!

It was a beautiful relaxing venue. The property was on about 300 acres. The lodge we stayed in was nice and only people there for the wedding were staying in our building. We had some good family time together that is so hard to find these days. When it comes down to it. I guess that is what's really important.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%