I Could Cry...

Decorating By FloweryGreetings Updated 30 Oct 2010 , 2:09am by tokazodo

FloweryGreetings Posted 29 Oct 2010 , 9:20pm
post #1 of 12

I've recently started getting orders for cakes and I have one I had to finish up today. I just got it done and all I want to do is cry. I hate how it turned out.

She wanted a red fondant covered cake with black roses and leaves. Since there is no contrast colour between the leaves and the roses, I feel like it looks like a big blob on the top. I feel so unconfident and I don't even want to face my customer.

How did I fool myself into thinking I could actually do this? I don't know if this is the appropriate forum for my post, maybe cake wrecks would be better, but I was hoping for some quick input as to what I could do to make it look better in a short amount of time? icon_sad.gif

11 replies
3GCakes Posted 29 Oct 2010 , 9:27pm
post #2 of 12

Hang in there! Sometimes it looks a lot worse to us than anyone else!

Is there some way you can get some white in there? Maybe a few white leaves, or something?

If you are unsure about how the customer may react, you can always call them. Maybe tell them that in your professional opinion, the cake needs a contrasting color.

Texas_Rose Posted 29 Oct 2010 , 9:27pm
post #3 of 12

Do you have a picture? I would probably add a tiny bit of pearl dust to the edges of the roses, and paint the leaves with black gel color mixed with vodka, but it'd be easier to tell what to suggest with a picture.

cdgleason Posted 29 Oct 2010 , 9:33pm
post #4 of 12

You could try to use some standard food coloring, I like Americolor, add a few drops of vodka to a very small amount of food coloring, then you can paint on some subtle color variations!

GL79 Posted 29 Oct 2010 , 9:37pm
post #5 of 12

Have you ever made fondant ribbon roses, they are easy to make and fast.

7yyrt Posted 29 Oct 2010 , 9:42pm
post #6 of 12

I would try a tiny contrast on the edges of the leaves and petals.
A little silver would make the details pop without changing your color mixture.

Texas_Rose Posted 29 Oct 2010 , 9:47pm
post #7 of 12

Ah, I was picturing fondant roses and leaves...but the pearl dust would still work.

My daughter likes the cake the way it is...says it's an awesome Halloween birthday cake. (Now she's asking me for a halloween birthday cake...but her birthday is in March icon_razz.gif)

sweetooth0510 Posted 29 Oct 2010 , 10:17pm
post #8 of 12

I did a wedding cake with black roses on top and thought exactly like you - big blob of black. I put some tiny strings of pearls (from craft shop) in amongst the roses to just lift them a bit and make them stand out - looked fab! You could put some thing red ribbon or pearl coloured ribbon if you don't want to use pearls.

icer101 Posted 29 Oct 2010 , 10:44pm
post #9 of 12

hi, i think you cake looks great just the way it is. Don,t let it worry you anymore. red cake, black rose and leaves. good job!!

CWR41 Posted 30 Oct 2010 , 1:40am
post #10 of 12

Your BC roses look too dry with jagged edges. If the cake isn't being picked up until tomorrow, you might consider scraping them off and making black fondant roses like the white ones on your 2-tier cake.

JaeRodriguez Posted 30 Oct 2010 , 1:53am
post #11 of 12

I think it looks great! IF you have to change something maybe some petal dust but that is all I would mess with! Definitely doesn't look like a blob!

tokazodo Posted 30 Oct 2010 , 2:09am
post #12 of 12

For a quick fix, why don't you put 2 colors of buttercream in the bag and make leaves.

Why not put some black buttercream and some white buttercream in the bag at the same time and just re-pipe the leaves. It would give the contrast the roses needed and add interest to the cake.

I would try to stripe a little black icing on either side of the pastry bag and then fill with some white icing and re-pipe the leaves. I would try to make it so that the black icing was on the outer edges of the leaves and I would try to only use a little black icing, just for a little contrast.

*this video shows the technique I as talking about.

Quote by @%username% on %date%