Decorating By ashleyj Updated 30 Oct 2010 , 4:30am by kger

ashleyj Posted 29 Oct 2010 , 9:16pm
post #1 of 6

Where in the world do you get those extra long dowels that you use to put thru the entire cake? Do I need to get that at a hardware store?
Thank You!

5 replies
CWR41 Posted 30 Oct 2010 , 12:27am
post #2 of 6

Yes, or craft stores.

indydebi Posted 30 Oct 2010 , 1:31am
post #3 of 6

How tall is your cake?

A 3 tier cake should be about 12" tall (three tiers at 4" each). the dowels that wilton sells in a bag are 12" tall. Since a center dowel doesnt' have to come to the very top fo the cake, a 12" tall cake only needs a dowel about 10" long, giving you enough space to whittle or sharpen the dowel to a point.

Anything over 3 tiers would definitely need a longer dowel, if you're transporting an assembled 4 tier (or bigger) cake.

kger Posted 30 Oct 2010 , 3:59am
post #4 of 6

Do you need a dowel if a 2 tier is being assembled and disassembled in the same place, and not being transported while stacked at all?

indydebi Posted 30 Oct 2010 , 4:20am
post #5 of 6

I dont' dowel unless I'm traveling with an assembled cake. The purpose of the center dowel is to keep the cake from moving during transport. Once the cake is assembled, in place, it's not going to be moved, so I dont' use one.

kger Posted 30 Oct 2010 , 4:30am
post #6 of 6

Awesome. Thank you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%