Bc Large Cake, I Know There Is A Chart But

Decorating By ninatat Updated 30 Oct 2010 , 2:39am by Jennifer1970

ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 29 Oct 2010 , 9:15pm
post #1 of 5

hi all, i haven made a large cake yet, but i usually make a 10 inch 3 layer, and usually need more icing, i do like to put it on heavy like Edna does, so say if you are doing a 3 layer wedding cake, how much extra do you use. or how much do you end up using. thanks

4 replies
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 30 Oct 2010 , 12:33am
post #2 of 5

Since it's 50% more cake than a two-layer cake, add 50% to your chart.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 30 Oct 2010 , 12:48am
post #3 of 5

How big are your 3 tiers?

When you make the 3-layer 10" cake, how much icing do you make and how much extra do you always have to make?

I found a ratio to use over years of baking. I'm a cake mix baker, and I discovered that for a wedding cake, I would use about four 2-lb bags of p.sugar for every 7 cake mixes. with this 4:7 ratio, i could figure how much sugar, a.k.a. how much icing, I'd have to make for any number of cake mixes.

If you are a scratch baker, you could figure how much icing per batch or per a number of batches (a batch being defined as batter to make one cake or batter that equals one cake mix or something similar that would be easy for you to work out).

but once I found this ratio, I never had to know ahead of time, I never had to make a chart, I never had to memorize ..... I just had to know 4:7 and know how many cake mixes I was going to use.

Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 30 Oct 2010 , 2:21am
post #4 of 5

Some of this may not apply for your single-tier, three layer 10" cake, but I'll paste what I wrote in another thread about how much icing...

For wedding cakes: I've always used my own formula to calculate this.

If the cake serves 114, I'll need at least 11 or 11.5 lbs.
If the cake serves 156, I'll need at least 15 or 15.5 lbs.
It's roughly 10% of what the cake serves.

Now, keep in mind that everyone uses different cake serving charts, and not everyone does the entire cake in buttercream from roses, borders, ruffles, garlands, stringwork, leaves, decorations in between tiers, around fountains, on boards, and cake tops, etc. Just remember, you'll need plenty of extra leftover to take on your delivery as well incase you need to make any unexpected repairs! (of course, you could get by with fewer lbs. if you're just crumb coating and covering with fondant.) Hope this helps!

Jennifer1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennifer1970 Posted 30 Oct 2010 , 2:39am
post #5 of 5

[quote="indydebi"]How big are your 3 tiers?

I found a ratio to use over years of baking. I'm a cake mix baker, and I discovered that for a wedding cake, I would use about four 2-lb bags of p.sugar for every 7 cake mixes. with this 4:7 ratio, i could figure how much sugar, a.k.a. how much icing, I'd have to make for any number of cake mixes.

quote]

IndyDebi - thanks so much for this, so easy to remember. I always make too much frosting, but this will be a huge help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%