Behind Schedule And A Little Stressed. Pep Talk Needed

Decorating By tsal Updated 29 Oct 2010 , 9:29pm by caymancake

tsal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tsal Posted 29 Oct 2010 , 8:30pm
post #1 of 5

I'm preparing a 3-tier round fondant covered Blues Clues cake for Sunday morning for my son's bday. Most of the appliques are done, but I changed the design since my figurine sucks so I have one more to prepare.

I *wanted* to have all my cakes baked and ready to ice by now, but being sick and a hectic week has put me behind schedule.

So far, I have half of my bottom tier baked. I'll be up tonight baking and preparing icing, tinting fondant, and finishing the gumpaste decorations.

I'm more behind schedule than usual! Caking can be stressful sometimes!

4 replies
cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 29 Oct 2010 , 8:56pm
post #2 of 5

Sister you said a mouthful. I haven't done any decorating lately because of recovering from first a kidney stone and then back pain issues (probably from the kidney stone issues), so I feel for you. Making cakes can be very stressful, especially when you are on a deadline (as if the stress of making a designer cake isn't enough stress). But yet we do it anyway...why...because we love it. We like trying to turn sugar and grain into a beautifully executed cake. Sometimes we win and sometimes the cake wins. We just have to roll with punches the best we can, and hope in the end it was all worth it. I will say this, the more you let it stress you out the worse it will be. Take a step back and a deep breath and literally say " I can do this", and remember positive thoughts will bring postive results and negativity breeds negativity. You can do it....YOU CAN DO THIS!
PEP TALK OVER...NOW GET IN THERE AND BAKE THAT CAKE!

tsal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tsal Posted 29 Oct 2010 , 9:14pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks! Part of my stress is trying to get stuff done while the kids are awake. Impossible! They fight or get into stuff and I become seriously grumpy.

I managed to get the other half of my bottom tier in the oven by letting them eat supper in front of the tv (they are aged 6, 4, and almost 2). I could still see them of course, but I felt like I was playing Beat the Clock.

MissLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissLisa Posted 29 Oct 2010 , 9:24pm
post #4 of 5

Ohhh we are always our own worst enemy! Why WHy WHY do we set these exceptions of perfection for our own family cakes?? I'm sure we have ALL been there done that, I know I have.

When I'm behind schedule, I try to step back, quickly make a list, make a quick sweep of the work area and put away anything that's gonna get in my way, i.e. dirty dishes into the dishwasher, all shoes out of the kitchen ('cause I tend to trip over them) kick kids/husband out. icon_biggrin.gif Once I get everything I'm not gonna need, I get out everything I will be using. And then take it in steps. Start cake batter, grease ALL pans, fill all pans bake as many as you can fit on the center shelf of the oven at one time. While cakes are baking, make icing, color fondant etc.

Get organized, get going.......get no sleep! You can do this!

Can't wait to see the pictures!

caymancake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caymancake Posted 29 Oct 2010 , 9:29pm
post #5 of 5

I've been there and completely understand! Been sick the past couple of days, and I've got some cake orders due this weekend and customers were not able to make other arrangements icon_sad.gif.

The first thing I would precommend is just take your time! SOmetimes when I'm pressed for time I find that if I rush, I have to redo, versus if I focus on going a little more slowly and end up with a more clean product.

Maybe what you can do is finish baking all of the cakes before the kids go to bed.

After they've gone to bed, either finish your gumpaste accents or fill and frost the cakes.

That way tomorrow all you have to is stack and stick on everything that needs to be on the cake.

I hope it all works out for you and I'm looking forward to seeing the finished cake!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%