What To Do.. Bride's Sister Sent Money Order But I Don't Hav

Decorating By mcdonald Updated 1 Nov 2010 , 10:48am by costumeczar

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 29 Oct 2010 , 6:08pm
post #1 of 31

I don't know what to do. Wedding next week end.. bride's sister is paying for the cupcakes and she said she sent money order last Thursday and I still don't have it. I feel pretty sure she has done so because she told me about the bank making her fil it in with her name and mine so I think she is telling me the truth. Problem is that I don't have it yet and I know she doesn't have the money to send me another one. I was going to start baking this week end.. I feel bad but I don't know what to do....

30 replies
myslady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
myslady Posted 29 Oct 2010 , 6:20pm
post #2 of 31

Don't believe that crap. She should still have the receipt and they can issue a stop payment on it. It will cost some money to stop payment but they can issue another one, especially if it was drawn from her bank.

Also, I didn't know banks did money orders, I thought they did cashier's checks.

CrescentMoon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CrescentMoon Posted 29 Oct 2010 , 6:25pm
post #3 of 31

tell her to have a stop pament placed on the MO and then tell her to Western Union you the money instead. If you don't have it by tomorrow I would say "I'm sorry, but I cannot proceed with your order".

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 29 Oct 2010 , 6:39pm
post #4 of 31

She should have a stub with a serial number on it. Tell her to call the company that issued it or ask her for the info and tell her you'll call. If she really got a money order, she will have the stub and have the info. It may take some time to put a stop payment on it and get her money back.

myslady is right, when I've gotten them from the bank it was always a cashier's check.

All4Show Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
All4Show Posted 29 Oct 2010 , 6:43pm
post #5 of 31

Sorry. I worked in a bank a few years ago. We sold money orders. All 3 banks I have worked in sold money orders.

mcdonald Posted 29 Oct 2010 , 8:55pm
post #6 of 31

actually I think it was a cashier's check.... ugh..

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 29 Oct 2010 , 9:02pm
post #7 of 31

Cashier's check is easier to fix. She needs to call her bank and put a stop payment on it, which they may charge about $25 to do.

mcdonald Posted 29 Oct 2010 , 9:34pm
post #8 of 31

thanks guys... I have emailed her twice and haven't heard from her.... I will try to call her tonight and give her until Tuesday

Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 29 Oct 2010 , 10:24pm
post #9 of 31

So "the check is in the mail" then? Hmmm...likely story! And MAYBE it IS in the mail, but until the money is actually in your account she hasn't paid you.

Its her responsibility to make sure you get your money by the due date, regardless of the method of payment. Politely tell her the check has not been received and that, regrettably, without payment you are unable to proceed with the order.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 30 Oct 2010 , 12:41am
post #10 of 31

Bullsh*t. I had a bride pull the same crap on me. She mailed the money order. I didn't receive it. I call her. She's almost crying with "but I mailed it and I dont' know what to do." Hubby, a 25 year banker, told me that even if she put a tracer on it to see if it was cashed, doens't prove that *I* cashed it and he explained all they ways a money order can be bought and voided by the buyer to make it LOOK like they made the payment.

I told this bride, "I dont' know but I dont' have the payment and without a payment, I won't show up with a cake. You can get me the cash in the next day or so and if the money order shows up, I'll return it to you uncashed. But I need a payment of some kind."

She got me a payment and the cake was delivered.

By the way that was a couple of years ago and I STILL have not received the first money order she says she mailed.

It was at this point that I put in my contract that any non-traceable payments (such as money orders, cashier checks, etc.) that were mailed MUST be mailed with a tracking number mailing system.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 30 Oct 2010 , 12:58am
post #11 of 31

It's amazing, the same thing happened to me! "I sent the money order" and it never arrived. Not even after I made them send me another one. The first one never got here. SO MYSTERIOUS! There must be a vacuum in the space-time continuum that attracts money orders that are intended to pay for cakes...

4realLaLa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4realLaLa Posted 30 Oct 2010 , 3:58am
post #12 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by myslady

Don't believe that crap. She should still have the receipt and they can issue a stop payment on it. It will cost some money to stop payment but they can issue another one, especially if it was drawn from her bank.

Also, I didn't know banks did money orders, I thought they did cashier's checks.

I know any banks around here that do them. They do cashier's checks also.

jenscreativity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenscreativity Posted 30 Oct 2010 , 4:07am
post #13 of 31

I heard you can wire money also through western union and it was really easy...From out of town or local..just get a card and have it delivered to the your place and you just call and activate it AND on their end..it is cheap..so not sure what this client is doing. SOrry for this. Suggest westen union for now on.

lizzycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lizzycakes Posted 30 Oct 2010 , 4:21am
post #14 of 31

Paypal accounts are available and much quicker. Also Chase bank now has an online payment system called Quickpay that can be used WITHOUT having to give the person your bank account number (like with BOA account transfers).. not sure if you have to be a chase customer for this,

Paypal takes a cut of your profit, but its not much, and it prevents these kinds of problems

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 30 Oct 2010 , 4:33am
post #15 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4realLaLa

Quote:
Originally Posted by myslady

I know any banks around here that do them. They do cashier's checks also.

One of the reasons my experience prompted a clause in my contract is (my banker) hubby told me that you can't put a stop payment on a money order. When he was a collector (i.e. "repo man") with the bank, he'd run into this scam all the time with people trying to show a money order receipt as proof of payment, but payment had not been made.

that's why my experience with this issue became an issue for us. She couldn't stop payment because it was a money order and she had mailed it via regular mail (no tracking number), so it couldn't even be proved that it was mailed. Ergo .... *IF* a bride *HAD* to pay with a money order, I required it be hand-delivered or mailed via UPS/FedEx, etal.

Also, I buy money orders from banks all the time.

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 30 Oct 2010 , 4:35am
post #16 of 31

OP, what if you were a mechanic and her sister needed her car fixed?
What if you were a landlord and she needed her rent paid?
What if you were a dentist and she needed a tooth pulled?

What if you were.....

Well, you get the idea. Just because it's a cake doesn't make it your responsibility to proceed WITHOUT payment. I'm fortunate to have several rental homes and lovely tenants. The reason I have lovely tenants is I screen the absolute bejeebers out of 'em BEFORE they move in. You cannot believe some of my stories. My favorite was the bounced check written to pay for the tenant screening/credit worthiness process.

EvMarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EvMarie Posted 30 Oct 2010 , 4:50am
post #17 of 31

Another "ex-banker"....we sold money orders and cashiers checks. It is true that she could stop it & re-issue something. Or.................................wait for it - - - - - - -- -

being that it's her sisters wedding, maybe she could make the extra effort to bring you cash! I would be ensuring that the wedding cake/cupcakes were there for my sisters wedding.

It shouldn't be that big of a deal. Hope it works out!

4realLaLa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4realLaLa Posted 30 Oct 2010 , 12:17pm
post #18 of 31

I meant that I DON'T know any banks around that do them. They do cashier's checks INSTEAD. My bad, next time I need to preview my post. LOL.

costumeczar Posted 30 Oct 2010 , 2:41pm
post #19 of 31

Regardless of how she said she sent the money, you don't have it, so she hasn't paid. No cakey for her!

crazyladybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazyladybaker Posted 30 Oct 2010 , 3:15pm
post #20 of 31

tons of terrific advice listed already and I agree with them.... no payment received - no cake delivered icon_razz.gif

DSmo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DSmo Posted 31 Oct 2010 , 1:46pm
post #21 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4realLaLa

I meant that I DON'T know any banks around that do them. They do cashier's checks INSTEAD. My bad, next time I need to preview my post. LOL.

All the banks here sell them. BUT they'll only do them up to a certain amount of money (I think it's like $200 or $500). Anything more and you have to get a cashier's check.

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 31 Oct 2010 , 2:06pm
post #22 of 31

I agree with costumeczar, no money, no cakey. Call the bride if you can...let her know the situation...maybe sis spent the cake money and doesn't want the bride to know.

Occther Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Occther Posted 31 Oct 2010 , 2:26pm
post #23 of 31

Agree - no money - no cake. I cancelled a wedding cake this summer - although the MOG swore her husband mailed the check but since the bank was closed, they couldn't call to find out. Of course, the check never arrived.

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 31 Oct 2010 , 2:29pm
post #24 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdonald

I don't know what to do. Wedding next week end.. bride's sister is paying for the cupcakes and she said she sent money order last Thursday and I still don't have it. I feel pretty sure she has done so because she told me about the bank making her fil it in with her name and mine so I think she is telling me the truth. Problem is that I don't have it yet and I know she doesn't have the money to send me another one. I was going to start baking this week end.. I feel bad but I don't know what to do....

I was a bill collector for a while, and this is a CLASSIC excuse! I seriously heard this a dozen times a day. Next time tell them to send it via Western Union if you can't get a check. Don't make the cake, this is not your problem. It's hers.

Classycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Classycakes Posted 31 Oct 2010 , 2:34pm
post #25 of 31

It really is very simple.......it's the bride's problem and not yours! It's up to her to figure out the logistics of getting proper payment to you. The responsibility is on her to provide payment on time and in full. You are a professional and deserve to be paid for your hard work.

There's no way that anyone could walk into a store and walk out with a cake or any other item, particularly an item that costs hundreds of dollars, without paying for it. Why we as bakers agonize over the finances of our customers just blows my mind. No other professional or business owner gives it a second thought.

If they want a quality wedding cake, then they need to pay for it according to YOUR terms and conditions. If they don't, then move on to the next customer. I'm sure you have plenty of other things to be worrying about.

It's a pet peeve of mine that a bride can spend hundreds if not thousands of dollars on a wedding but it always seems to be the baker that gets the short end of the stick. I personally never hear of payment problems with the venue (who probably gets paid a month in advance) or the phtographer, the decorator and so on - there never seems to be a problem with their payment. It's always the baker!!! grrr

costumeczar Posted 31 Oct 2010 , 3:24pm
post #26 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classycakes

It's a pet peeve of mine that a bride can spend hundreds if not thousands of dollars on a wedding but it always seems to be the baker that gets the short end of the stick. I personally never hear of payment problems with the venue (who probably gets paid a month in advance) or the phtographer, the decorator and so on - there never seems to be a problem with their payment. It's always the baker!!! grrr

I know a florist who got stuck for $2000 worth of flowers when the bride cancelled the wedding AFTER the rehearsal dinner. Of course, she hadn't required payment in advance. The same bride gave me a hard time about the payment but ended up paying me three days before. I told her no payment no cake, so she pulled it out of wherever...The florist was being "nice" and got screwed. The same bride also stiffed her planner, who was also trying to be nice and ended up paying for a lot of things that she was going to be reimbursed for later. Guess who didn't get her money after the fact.

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 31 Oct 2010 , 3:37pm
post #27 of 31

Besides Paypal, you could also do an email transfer. Give her your business email (assuming you have an account under that name), or whatever email you use to check your banking online. She can email you the money and you'll have it in minutes.

But I agree with the others - contact the bride, and bypass the sister. The bride would be more concerned about the cake (cupcake) situation than the sister is, apparently. It's not her wedding.

(What's that sig someone has? "Your emergency is not my problem.")

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 31 Oct 2010 , 11:11pm
post #28 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by CutiePieCakes-Ontario

icon_lol.gif ME !

Rae

tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 31 Oct 2010 , 11:56pm
post #29 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by CutiePieCakes-Ontario

icon_lol.gif ME !

Rae

I love this quote and I laugh each time I see it. It is so true of drama queens!

tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 31 Oct 2010 , 11:58pm
post #30 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classycakes

I know a florist who got stuck for $2000 worth of flowers when the bride cancelled the wedding AFTER the rehearsal dinner. Of course, she hadn't required payment in advance. The same bride gave me a hard time about the payment but ended up paying me three days before. I told her no payment no cake, so she pulled it out of wherever...The florist was being "nice" and got screwed. The same bride also stiffed her planner, who was also trying to be nice and ended up paying for a lot of things that she was going to be reimbursed for later. Guess who didn't get her money after the fact.

All I can say is "Wow", talk about getting cold feet! Right after the rehearsal dinner? Really?! I'd love to know the rest of that story! icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%