I Feel Sick To My Stomach...what Should I Do??

Decorating By careylynn Updated 29 Oct 2010 , 8:32pm by Christy0722

careylynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
careylynn Posted 29 Oct 2010 , 5:44pm
post #1 of 12

I just got home from one of my girl's school activities, to find out that the tiara I spent HOURS painstakingly making was broken into a thousand pieces because the electrician here felt it necessary to move it out of his way. It wasn't in his way, so I don't understand why he felt he needed to put his ugly hands on it. What should I do??

Fortunately it wasn't for a paying customer but for my own daughter's bday. But then again because it wasn't for a customer, I can't play that card with him or his company. You know?

So what's the right thing to do?? I feel sick about it. That thing was sooo frustrating to make and the thought of having to do it over again..ughhh. I feel like crying.

11 replies
pieceacake830 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pieceacake830 Posted 29 Oct 2010 , 5:52pm
post #2 of 12

Wether or not it was for a paying customer doesn't matter . That tiara still had just as much value as if it were for a paying customer. The electrician should pay up.

floral1210 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
floral1210 Posted 29 Oct 2010 , 5:55pm
post #3 of 12

Careylynn, I feel so sorry that this happened. I imagine you are beside yourself. However, don't make light of the fact that paying customer or not, he broke something that belonged to you, whether it is a tiara for a cake, or a lamp, or a vase. He had no right to touch it, and I would withhold money (pick a price) from his charge to cover your time and materials!

Chasey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chasey Posted 29 Oct 2010 , 6:09pm
post #4 of 12

I'm so sorry that happened to you!

Did he show you what he did? Did he mention it at all? Are you 100% sure he touched it and he knowingly (although accidentally) broke it?

careylynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
careylynn Posted 29 Oct 2010 , 6:59pm
post #5 of 12

Chasey, no he didn't show or tell me. I went downstairs to check on it because I had a "gut feeling" and found it broken. He heard me voicing my sorrow, and said nothing until I walked past him and he said " did I break it when I moved it??". No dummy, the invisible man in the corner did it. I hate confrontation. Of all days, my husband has to be out of town....

cdgleason Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cdgleason Posted 29 Oct 2010 , 7:10pm
post #6 of 12

Sorry this happened, you must be heart broken.
Whatever you decide to do, I would take photos of the damage/destruction... I would make sure that it's sitting in the spot where you had the tiara 'safely' out of the way!

FloraFlora Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FloraFlora Posted 29 Oct 2010 , 7:10pm
post #7 of 12

So sorry to hear that it happened to you! I can't imagine the pain seeing your hard labour and love being destroyed so carelessly.
He definitely should pay for the damage. You are your own paying customer!

deijha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deijha Posted 29 Oct 2010 , 7:27pm
post #8 of 12

When I am making things for a cake, or have things made, I have a corner of my kitchen, where I keep those things. My daughter has aids that come in and take care of her and they always want to look, (which is fine), but I have found out that I have to put up a sign that says "If you are not Jeanne McKee DO NOT enter this area for ANY reason"!

It seems like when I ahve somehting made, that the floor in that area gets so dirty that they just have to sweep it or mop it, or do some dusting. I just keep it in the cupboard and get it out whenever I need to.

Sorry that happened to all your hard work and yep I would tell him, that he owes you for it, you may not ever see any money, but maybe he will keep his hands to himself from now on.
Jeanne

daltonam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daltonam Posted 29 Oct 2010 , 7:58pm
post #9 of 12

You may not want to confront him, but I be danged! if I'd let him let away with it. You tell him that this is YOUR LIVING & that that tiara is due to be ON TOP OF A CAKE for a little girl THAT IS EXPECTING IT on xxx day at xxx time & what does he expect you to do about that now?? Some little girl's heart is going to be broken b/c she isn't going to get the cake she's expecting. NEVER ONCE do you have to say who that cake is for!!!

IF NOTHING ELSE MAKE HIM FEEL LIKE CRAP!

Good Luck, whatever you decide. & Good Luck if you stay up all night to make another one.

Cakegirl313 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakegirl313 Posted 29 Oct 2010 , 8:04pm
post #10 of 12

I know this won't help but maybe make you laugh a little. All the cakes I've done to date have been as "gifts" and in July I was making a 21st birthday cake for my niece.

Well I had decided to make a whole martini glass to go on the cake. I had made it out of gum paste, painted it and had it drying on a sheet tray on my counter. Thought nothing of it. That is where I went wrong. I have a two year old and a three year old so what was I thinking.

Well I walked away for just a few minutes and when I returned back to the kitchen my 2 year old son had decided he wanted to know what it taste like so he took a bite out of every single piece of anything molded. The glass, the bottom of the glass, the name tag all of it. I cried and cried and cried. I had put in a lot of time and effort and was so sad but my husband calmed me down.

I was able to salvage it though by cutting it in half and laying it down on the cake. You can see a picture of it my pictures. I know you can't salvage yours but maybe this time you could make a simplier design to help you out so it isn't so hard and at least it was practice.

I know that doesn't make you feel any better but you may laugh about it someday. I finally did when I wrote it in his memory book. Good luck with whatever you decide to do. icon_smile.gif

Kellbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellbella Posted 29 Oct 2010 , 8:07pm
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by careylynn

Chasey, no he didn't show or tell me. I went downstairs to check on it because I had a "gut feeling" and found it broken. He heard me voicing my sorrow, and said nothing until I walked past him and he said " did I break it when I moved it??". No dummy, the invisible man in the corner did it. I hate confrontation. Of all days, my husband has to be out of town....

icon_mad.gif What an a**hole icon_mad.gif I would have ripped him a new one!

Christy0722 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Christy0722 Posted 29 Oct 2010 , 8:32pm
post #12 of 12

Did you pay for the supplies needed to make the tiara?? Then it is for a "paying customer"....even if it is yours. Now you are out TWICE the money.....once for the broken items and second for the replacement! I'd be on the phone with his company very quickly and having the cost deducted from my bill.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%